No announcement yet.

CAI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've noticed slight gains - certainly enough for the ass to feel. I definately think the sound adds a few extra psychological hp on top of that. I did notice improved throttle response as well.

C-town, my AEM doesn't have the breather filter you are asking about. The hose runs after the big air filter.

Its all good.
    Neil
    '03 Silver Jetta 1.8T - gone, but not forgotten

mods to my car

Comment

So Neil, does it look similar to the Autotech one with respect to the breather filter....

Also, where did you buy it from and how was the instalation, fit, and finish?

BTW I just noticed you're in Rocky Ridge from your sig. Don't think I've seen you around but good to see another 'top of the hill' dubber
      Derick

Comment

C-town, this is what it looks like installed in my vehicle.

You can see that the hose attaches to the pipe on opposite side as the Autotech. You can't see it in this pic, but I've used a mounting stud from the stock air box to clamp the hose firmly to the frame. Another difference I can see from the Autotech is that there is an additional flange on the lower bend (just above the filter) to prevent contact to the frame.

I bought it from Tunerworks for $331 after tax and shipped. Fit and finish are good. It is aluminum with some so called heat resistant coating. I have to agree with Kor and say that the argument for heat transfer between the different types of materials is dumb. However, I've heard to stay away from the steel (or poor quality stainless) ones as they have a possibity of rusting from the inside and royaly screwing up the MAF and turbo.

All in all, I'm happy with it. If you want you should stop by the house to see it sometime.
        Neil

mods to my car

Comment

Neil so right now your breather is attached to nothing?? the AEM is supposed to have a side hook up for it. You must have a really early version or something.. go to crappy tire and buy a little filter to put on there. That hose sucks in air on colder days to start up your engine and you don't want to be sucking in a moth or something that might be under there.

Comment

Just an update, there is a product called "Blue Rhino" CAI that I think will probably give the best gains. They claim 20 hp / 24 ft.lbs. gain "at peak", on a chipped 1.8T, no other mods. I don't support the numbers, but if you look at their design you will see that it is very practical.

Its also over $300US. Ouch.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Ahhhh i think the Dyno has some of us contemplating this CAI system... Kor had the best #'s with a stock airbox..HMMMMM?
              Dale Willimus

Comment

But the CAI's sound sooooo good.

QuA
                2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

Dale man... that was a fluke -- I'm never going back to the fucking stock airbox. Everyone else who ran with the airbox did terrible! lol

Peter

Comment

I'm sorry, did you say fluke?
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

That's right sir... fluke! lol

Comment

Oh its on now
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Yep....here comes the debate of the Ages between Kris and Peter...This is goin to be fun.... Peter there has to be somthin to do with the airbox because the only difference was the N75 valves.... Ahh well i'm happy with mine
                          Dale Willimus

Comment

CAIS add HP but way high up in the RPM band.. not down low.. i love em though.. its on there for life

Comment

Looks good Neil :thumbsup:
                              I might have to take you up on your offer when I get closer to picking one up. $331 seems like a pretty reasonable deal too, I'll talk to Junior at Tunerworks to see what he can do.
                              Do you think the extra flange piece on the Autotech one would help at all?
                              Derick

Comment

Ryan, I guess my last post was a little confusing. I have the breather attached. I just wanted to say that it is attached on the opposite side of the pipe from the Autotech version. You can see it as the rubber hose on my previous post. That rubber hose connects to the stock plastic breather hose via a coupling.

C-town, the extra flange is on my system. It's located just above the filter and attaches the CAI to the frame just under the battery tray. It helps in the sense that it ensures that nothing is rattling lower on the tube. Basically, there are two support points vs. the one found on the Autotech.

Sorry for the unclear post.
                                Neil

mods to my car

Comment

Working...
                                X