CAI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CAI?

I'm gonna start this debate here at NVD as well. I've been looking into different CAI's in the past little while to add a little noise to the VR6..... I've basically narrowed down my search to EVO or Carbonio... The question is, do CAI's really help? Alot of people say a fogged Airbox is better.... what are some opinions?
    Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

hey colin.. my buddy mike has an ABD on his GLI and loves it.. I would get the EVO over carbonio but thats just me.. I love mine.. you just have to be puddle/lake concious after you get one..

oh PM merdenoms (mike) and ask him how he likes his.. his GLI is pure hotness.. 24V chip, CAI, brullen..

Comment

Well supposedly a new chip has come out for the 24V that offers 18hp along with an EVO CAI.... tuned together. I doubt anyone would get 18hp out of the VR6 with just that...... but even an extra 10-12 would be nice.

Mike if you don't mind chipping in... I wouldn't mind hearing your input/experiance.

Thanks.

Comment

I would like to believe that it helps performance, but scientifically I think it probably just changes the sound. If there are gains they will be in combination with other mods and will probably be small (think: 2-3 hp) I don't think there is ANY difference between the brands of CAIs. The metal/carbom/plastic argument is kind of dumb.

That doesnt mean I won't get one, I probably will once I have some money.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I think that there is a mild gain, mind you they are not that expensive so you can't expect a whole lot. VW most likely designed their airbox with max gains in mind, but they also had a degree of quiet in there as well, not to mention cost. So I'd say up to about 8 or 9 hp.
          Nick
          There are only two infinites, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
          --Albert Einstein

Comment

i'd think the 8-9 are true nick. my stock 1.8t felt way faster after adding the CAI..

Comment

As much as I'd like to think 8-9hp out of a CAI... I doubt it. But then again, I truly have no real idea... 3-4 sounds more probable. But in the end, the difference of 4hp wont be a really significant difference anyways....

The combination I was looking into was this one..... A combination including a GIAC chip... Also, Simon, does Upsolute do chips for the 24V?

Thanks.

Comment

do it.. get the giac kit

Comment

EVO rocks i love it and it stays way cooler than the aluminium ones
                  Dale Willimus

Comment

Are my glasses dirty or did I read "9 hp"?
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I think your glasses are dirty its supposed to 15 LOL.... maybe 3-4 tops and a wicked sound thats all
                      Dale Willimus

Comment

Hey, I'm looking into getting a CAI too. The way I see it, they're all just pieces of tubing no matter how you polish, brand, or market them. So I'm looking for a CAI that doesn't require a seperate breather filter. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) that the Autotech one has the breather built in via tubing past the main intake. Can someone tell me what brands have this feature??
                        Derick

Comment

I know there is no way Im getting that much from my cai and my autotech chip... 18hp is a nice gain.

Present
                          2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                          2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                          2003 VW Jetta GLI
                          1992 VW Jetta GL
                          1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Well i have the 24v aswell. I think I will be doing some modding shortly because I finally have some cash. Personally, I think I am going to go with the carbonio because i love the fit and finish of it. Yes Colin, upsolute makes chips for the 24v's and I think that they are quite comprable to the GIAC. I am gonna get a chip from Simon sooner or later.
                            Paul

Mayonnaise colour Benz, I push Miracle Whips!

Comment

Lately I've been hearing great things about the Wetterauer chip.... But if upsolute does chip tuning for the 24V as well, I think I'll have to have a chat with Simon.

Merdenoms... thanks for the info via PM. :thumbsup:

Comment

Working...
                              X