MKIV Rust - Need advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MKIV Rust - Need advice!

So, I've got a black 2006 MKIV Golf TDI. I bought it in October of 2005. I've had it almost 3 years, and since I live in Airdrie and its my commuter car I've got about 93,000 km on it.

I take pretty good care of it, wash it regularly. I also ensure that every 6 months or so it gets the full clay bar, polish and wax treatment.

Over the past 3 or 4 months rust has started to pop up in a number of places. I asked 5th ave about it, and they said it's from rock chips that I didn't take care of. That was fine for the first spot that I noticed, but now its bubbling up from under the paint in areas where there are no rock chips or flaws. eg. the roof (near the back fo the car), front passenger side door, etc.

Is this covered under warranty? I've found at least 5 spots ranging inside from the size of a twoonie to the size of a dime where rust is bubbling under the paint. The dealer seems happier to blame it on me then to do anything, and I can't believe its normal for a three year old car to start to rust. everything in the manual says there is a rust perforation warranty, meaning if it eats right THROUGH the door its covered.

Thoughts??

Re: MKIV Rust - Need advice!

a bubble with no visible chip *should* be covered.. but its a pain to get anything done under the paint warranty. I've had pics taken as south center, but I never heard back from anyone. I talked to about 4 different people, and nobody had an answer as to whether or not VW canada would cover it. After a few weeks of calling I got someone who said 'he though it was denied', although he couldn't find anything in writing. I'm pretty sure they didn't even bother sending off the photos.

Northland couldn't even take pictures because there 50$ digital camera gets locked up some time in the afternoon, and although the service guys were still there to take the picture, they couldn't get to the camera.

So I guess I would try and put the claim in, because there is always a chance, but don't get your hopes up.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I had a similar problem with my 2000 golf, had the VW claims guy from out of town even come in to check it out, but they will not cover the paint chip bubbling/flaking under warranty at all - I bought the car from a VW tech who swore up and down he could get it done, I argued and fought for a while, and in the end, I just gave up. They will only honor the claim if the rust is starting from the steel/galvanizing process to begin with, not from what is caused by chips and paint loss, etc.

That having been said, if you are able to get it, or you end up getting more info/names etc, please share it so we can all try!
      Last edited by ricosuave; 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM.
      Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
      Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
      "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

I have a feeling VW has never warrantied rust spots. I have asked about it before and was pretty much told I was SOL without them even looking at it.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Read the warranty section of your owners manual. It explains what's covered and what's not.
          Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
          You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
          X