1.8t transmission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.8t transmission

Ive been noticing a clunking feel whenever I shift from neutral into first. I've never really noticed it before but now that im getting to know the car well (have had it for half a year now) ive been noticing it a lot more. Its just a distinct feeling when i clutch in and shift to first from neutral at a stand still. Its not grinding but id say that it makes it known that you had put it in gear. Its not a smooth shift. I have even tried depressing the clutch all the way down just to see if its how i shift but the pedal is already to the floor and it still happens every now and then. I have no idea what it is and unsure if I should get it checked at all. Don't want to wait it out and give it a chance to get worse. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on?
    drive green ||
    2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
    2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Re: 1.8t transmission

No but you could try new fluid plus new tranny mounts.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
      No but you could try new fluid plus new tranny mounts.
      Found this on vortex http://forums.vwvortex.com/zeropost?...how&id=3866928

"every so often, i'd say about every fifth time, when i put it into first, i get a dull thunking noise coming from under the car. it doesn't seem to be only when the car is still cold, it also happens at stop lights after i've been driving for a while. but again, it doesn't seem consistent, it just sort of randomly happens."

Thats exactly whats happening. Its probably nothing. Gonna try new fluids and mounts
      drive green ||
      2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
      2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Ask around, there is some other fluid (not the VW one) that people use that they say makes the transmission better. I think maybe its a GM fluid but I can't remember. Maybe search.

Edit: I think its Penzoil Syromesh which GM uses and people rave about in the 020 transmission.

Also if you get new transmission mounts/bushings?, if you get solid/poly ones you might actually feel it more, so you would want to get new OEM ones if they are worn.
        Last edited by Kor; 06-02-2008, 12:15 AM.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
        X