Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maintaining a VR6

ok...straight forward...
    i got a mk3 VR, I'm just about to hit 121k, and before i add any performance parts i plan to do slowly, I want to know what i should do to maintain its health. stuff like tune up, timing belt/chain or whatever, and all the gadgets and what not.

I don't want stuff to break down if i can avoid it early, but i also don't want to be a tool about it, and go to a shop and tell them to do everything on maintenance, so they can rip me off...

TIA
    Aleks

Re: maintaining a VR6

I think people do the timing chain between 130 and 150K so you could do that soon.

You could replace spark plugs and wires if you are keen.

Serp belt... not sure if its scheduled, you could do that too if you want.

Hmmm not much else that is not obvious like oil and filters.

You could start replacing bushings but I wouldn't.

Check the CV boots and things under the car to see if they are torn...
    Check your brake pads and rotors...
    Check your exhaust to make sure its not rusted and is hung securely.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Oh I guess headgasket is always replaceable but I would not do that either since it will be $$

I read on vortex that the so-called "crack pipe" coolant pipe is notorious for breaking. You could get a metal replacement.

129,000 km is when VW recommends the MAJOR BIG service so... look at this link:

http://www.vw.com/dealer/Maintenance...e&output=print
      Last edited by Kor; 05-29-2008, 08:48 PM.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

sweet, that helps alot
        thanks alot Kor

Comment

It is the guides for the timing chain that sometimes need to be replaced. From what Dave has told me they don't really need to be done until they are making noise.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

i woudnt trust the wainting until theres noise my buddys had his timing chains break yesterday and he has 141K fingers crossed that the valves are fine
            02 GTI
            Jared

Comment

the chain broke or the guide broke causing the chain to skip?

i have only heard of one instance in the years i have owned and researched VR's of the chain itself breaking.

If you need a hand going over your car i can prolly give you a hand.
              Team Highschool
              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

i would love it if you could, don't know much about technical part of my car, always willing to learn though. but I live in edmonton, I don't know how that's going to happen. Since I'm really low on money now, I will just do the necessary.

RONDAL? do you have the blue mk3 gti? from FAR FROM HOME with a smurf licence plate?

Comment

Working...
                X