09 TDI question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 09 TDI question

Is there any confirmed data on what kind of mileage the new TDI will be getting? Will it be as good as the current one? My mom is in the market. Wondering if it is worth the wait.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Re: 09 TDI question

Go see a sales guy/gal
    the PD's where more HP and better mileage so they said. NOT.

Comment

At a training session I attended a couple months back the 2L TDI will be as fuel efficient as the pd engine, but it will have 140hp! We are supposed to have on in our dealership in June to drive then the first load of cars for customers to take home should be late july early august!
      Current toys
      2011 Tiguan 4mo, APR stage 1, lowered on 20x10.5" wheels (daily)
      1989 Mustang 5L Cobra Clone, GT40X motor, 70MM turbo setup. (in the garage)
      1982 VW caddy (Project)
      1985 VW mk1 Convertible VR6 soon??? (Keepsake)
      1990 VW mk2 GTI, UPDATE Soon to have my turbo 434.97WHP, 445WTQ motor (backburner)
      1970 Mercedes benz w108, Baby blue on air(Sunday cruiser)
      1992 VW Doka (parts hauler)
      2002 Chevrolet 1 ton dually crewcab 4x4 Duramax (Toy hauler)

Comment

I have seen the EPA numbers on the Vortex and they don't look the best but supposedly using their new testing standards they are said to be around 18% under-rated.
        Blair
        Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

EPA Numbers are 30 city and 41 highway, combined 33
          If you add the 18% would be 35 city 48 highway
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

the new "blue" cars are have essentially copied the new diesel technology developed by Mercedes (according to Mercedes). More power, very clean emissions, and great mileage. Too bad that diesel isn't as cheap as it used to be,.. or it would be a 200% no-brainer.

Comment

probably get better numbers once it's on the road here, but from what i'm seeing, the mileage is sacrificed for the power. Kinda sucks, if thats the case.
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I heard they have been delayed again. Possibly into 2009 calendar year?

Comment

Edmunds did a 4 way test under 3 dif conditions:

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/fuelec...0/article.html

While the cost/mile isn't great (diesel is like a buck more than reg down there) the emissions is a huge win for VW - only .1 worse than a Prius.
                  Geoff
                  Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

That is not a 2009 TDI.... It is a 2005 TDI.

Comment

Reading pwns me. I assumed it was the latest model since people were comparing it to the new Jetta sportwagon etc. Argh. Still useful to see the diesel vs normal gasser advantages and disadvantages.
                      Geoff

Comment

Funny thing is many Prius owners are complaining that they never get anywhere close to the spec'd mileage and many Jetta owners are getting better than spec's (I know on my TDI that the mileage really improved once I hit about 5K)
                        2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

With older EPA tests it was pretty much confirmed even by the EPA themselves that diesels were 13-18% underrated and Hybrids were 10% overrated. This year they tweaked it a bit so who knows this year.

But the chart I posted above is real numbers based on Edmunds test driving different scenarios with the same cars over the same terrain.
                          Geoff

Comment

Working...
                          X