X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hell Frozen Over; Consumer Reports picks VW #1

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/05/11/v...nsumer-reports

Some memorable quotes from Consumer Reports:

"The Volkswagen Rabbit... is now our highest-rated car in small hatchback category, surpassing the Mazda3."

"CR also expects the Rabbit to have an "above average" reliability record."
    Last edited by Kor; 05-11-2008, 08:01 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: Hell Frozen Over; Consumer Reports picks VW #1

Interesting to hear thats for sure. I think if VW is on the straight and narrow long enough their bad rep (although undeserved) will change.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

They don't need to change their cars, they need to really step up their service at dealerships to make people happy, and they need to improve their warranty, and keep financing rates low.

Most VW owners are excited when they buy and very happy with the initial quality, but over time some get jaded by bad experiences - I think a lot of this can be fixed with a better warranty and better service that just really goes the extra mile to please north american customers.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Yep. I don't think most of the negativity is necessarily warranted:
        Expensive to maintain. Generally heard from the domestic, crowd. Compared to maintaining other European cars available in North America, VW's are not expensive. They are generally the safest, affordable cars. Great interiors, excellent engine choices, drivetrains...

I am agreement, that it is the dealerships, that are the lowpoint of the brand; - if only all the VW employees, were as forthright & helpful as the few that are on here.
        Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

I think VW often has really great sales staff too who are really good at exciting you about the car and showing off all the cool things about being a VW owner.

I think whats wrong is just the overall policies that the service people work under that sometimes make people FEEL like their VW has a lot wrong with it or that they are being nickel-and-dimed with trips to repair little things or fix things that should have been done for free as recalls or under service bullitins or whatever (coilpacks, window regulators, bad MAFs, etc etc). This happens twice and you end up paying for it you basically think you got a lemon.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I know what you mean. The one and only time I took my own car into get serviced was for the broken window regs. I was treated like it was going to cost me a fortune even though I know it should have been covered under the recall.
            Name: Brent
            His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
            Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
            Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I too have been thru both the coilpacks & regulators ordeal with the dealership. I've found documentation (vortex) that indicates both were to have been warrantied fully, yet the dealer wanted nothing to do with me.
              Cam

2004 VW R32 Turbo

Comment

Working...
              X