Brake Install Price

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Install Price

I tried to search, but I figured an up-to-date answer may be best. To anybody that's recently had brakes on a MKIV changed, or somebody that works at a shop - what 'ballpark' price would I be looking at to JUST INSTALL new rotors and pads on my Jetta? I have the new rotors and pads, just want to get them installed. I could do it myself, but I'm super lazy and it would take me forever. Any answers are appreciated.
    '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
    --DUBS--

Re: Brake Install Price

I think that when I had my rears done last spring, it came to ~250 all in from a backyard vw mechanic if that helps.

call george at tunedub and ask him - im sure he'll treat ya right
    Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
    Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
    "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

I just had my front rotors and pads replaced today by George and I think it came out to about 400 - 450 for both... I don't have the receipt on me but I'll take a look when I can.
      Isaac

Instagram:@ipetersphotog
      Then: 2000 Jetta 2.0L (2005-2012)
      Now: 2012 Golf TDI

Comment

For the rears you need a caliper reset tool. You can get this at crappy tire, but it is still kinda a pain. I have used this one http://www.metalnerd.com/cat08.htm
        many of times for myself and in the shop. To get somebody who knows what they are doing, $200 should be max in terms of a backyard mechanic. A shop, well the sky is the limit for that one here in Calgary.

Benjamin
        Ben
        2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
        2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
        2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
        Her's
        2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Originally posted by Benjamin View Post
          To get somebody who knows what they are doing, $200 should be max in terms of a backyard mechanic. A shop, well the sky is the limit for that one here in Calgary.

Benjamin
          Tunedub is by far the best in Calgary. Just took a look at the official invoice, and it looks like $330 for parts (front rotors and pads) and then the shop rate. So I was dead on with my original guess of between $400-$450.
          Isaac

Comment

Originally posted by snipa_mini85 View Post
            Tunedub is by far the best in Calgary. Just took a look at the official invoice, and it looks like $330 for parts (front rotors and pads) and then the shop rate. So I was dead on with my original guess of between $400-$450.

So if it was $330 for parts (which I DON'T need), then the install alone was $100? So, long story short...I should expect to pay around $200ish for an install?
            '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
            --DUBS--

Comment

yea probably 2 hours so 160ish or so

Comment

my Passat was 480.00 at the dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by dubs_17 View Post
                  So if it was $330 for parts (which I DON'T need), then the install alone was $100? So, long story short...I should expect to pay around $200ish for an install?
                  Hahaha! I don't know how I missed the part where you said that you already had all the parts Sorry man. Yeah, you're looking around or just under $200 depending on what the shop charges for hourly rates.
                  Isaac

Comment

Just remember with shops though if one person only pays so much labor with parts included the price could be different with just labor. Most shops make money on the parts and so sometimes they charge a little less on the labor. If they don't sell you the parts then they have to charge a little more labor to makeup for loss of not selling the parts. Yeah I know it sounds like a scam, but everybody does it, and dealers are the worst. Just looked up an axle for a 2000 tdi, list is $747, they are paying $71. Yep thats how it works there, small shops normally just charge a % on what they pay.

Benjamin
                    Ben
                    2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                    2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                    2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                    Her's
                    2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

Just stopped at the dealership, and they quoted me about $300 to install the brakes (in case anyone was wondering). Probably just do it myself.
                      '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                      --DUBS--

Comment

Originally posted by dubs_17 View Post
                        I tried to search, but I figured an up-to-date answer may be best. To anybody that's recently had brakes on a MKIV changed, or somebody that works at an auto body part shop - what 'ballpark' price would I be looking at to JUST INSTALL new rotors and pads on my Jetta? I have the new rotors and pads, just want to get them installed. I could do it myself, but I'm super lazy and it would take me forever. Any answers are appreciated.
                        Your lazy to do it?? Then Hire a mechanic to install it for you.. hehehehe

Comment

Its really easy to do it yourself if you have an afternoon. Part sourse will lend you the tool for free to do the rear brakes. I have done it on my GTI and Jetta and its much better than paying a few hundred. But hey to each their own.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X