Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help - Out of Province inspection - headlights

Hello all!

I'm new to Calgary, after being in the States for the last 13.5 years. I've brought my 1999.5 Jetta up with me and need to get it inspected. My problem is that I have replaced the yellowed, opaque stock headlights with aftermarket projectors and I don't think that they'll pass the Out of Province inspection here.

I'm asking if anyone knows of any "friendly" inspectors that would overlook the lack of a DOT label on the lights, or

If any of you have a set of stock lights that I might be able to borrow for the inspection.

I'd appreciate any help or suggestions that the Eurodrivers might have.

Thanks in advance.

Dal.
    1990 Porsche 951
    2013 Audi S4 6MT

Re: Need help - Out of Province inspection - headlights

I will be surprised. OOP is very strict and the punishments are high. I could see glossing over something like alignment but something as visible as headlight isn't likely.

You might be better off just picking up anything that fits from a wrecker then switch back after.

However if you were going to take a stab at it, I'd try shops in the NE.
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Re-read your post - I do have some stock MK4 jetta lights that you can borrow assuming you leave a vast amount of some sort of collateral.
      Geoff

Comment

golf or jetta?

i have some golf headlights that could be to some use for u
        Originally posted by RedMile
        Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
        Originally posted by Smarty39
        haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
          Re-read your post - I do have some stock MK4 jetta lights that you can borrow assuming you leave a vast amount of some sort of collateral.
          Well I'd be able to leave at least a 24 of some type of collateral (of your choosing), PM me and we'll chat, I'd be appreciative.

Dal.

P.S. Looking through your picts, I have the exact same lights as you do on my car right now. I'd be interested to get some input on your HID conversion. As soon as the car gets inspected, I'm planning to upgrade to HID bulbs in those projectors.

Great looking car by the way.
          Last edited by p951; 03-15-2008, 04:27 PM. Reason: added content
          1990 Porsche 951
          2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

Geoff, if it helps, I can vouch for him. Known him for a long time and your headlights will be in good hands.
            Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
            2016 .:R (sold)
            2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
            2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

i have some jetta headlights too. Lots of rock chips, and possibly a missing rear cover, but if you're not keeping them in there, thats not a big deal. should have a set of bulbs too.
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
                i have some jetta headlights too. Lots of rock chips, and possibly a missing rear cover, but if you're not keeping them in there, thats not a big deal. should have a set of bulbs too.
                That would be fantastic if I could borrow them for a bit. PM me and we'll set something up.

Dal.
                1990 Porsche 951
                2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

I'm in the SW behind COP in cougar ridge/coach hill area.

I really like the Helix but I don't have a hid kit - those pics I have up were just halogen silverstars but they don't seem to last. And since you need to remove the bumper to switch bulbs or aim them, I ordered some longer lasting ones from the UK. I kept the silvers in the high beams though.

Edit: I didn't mean collateral as payment, just something of value you'd get back when the lights come back - but if Jeff knows you then don't worry about it. They are just sitting on a shelf waiting the day I sell the car or need an insurance inspection.
                  Last edited by Khyron; 03-16-2008, 01:31 AM.
                  Geoff

Comment

You will need an Out Of Country inspection done. I believe that they are different then O.O.P.'s -d.r.l.'s etc. need to be working if the car is from the states to meet laws in Canada
                    12 Volvo XC 90
                    03 Jetta1.8T
                    95 Cabrio VRT
                    90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Yup, DRLs are standard on all VWs, even from the states. Mine work just fine.

Thanks, I'll hook up with one of the volunteers that well allow me to use their stock lights for a while for the OOP inspection.

I'll report back here on the process once I get through it and get an Alberta plate! Actually, I still have my old Alberta plate, wonder if they'll let me use that.

Thanks.
                      1990 Porsche 951
                      2013 Audi S4 6MT

Comment

Working...
                      X