GTI Creeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: GTI Creeks?

i like that one ^ thats exactly what i need thanks!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Stig View Post
      i like that one ^ thats exactly what i need thanks!
      They are probably most effective in combination, but now you can see how all 4 types are installed.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I heard that the insides of the body panels are coated in bee's wax for sound deadening. Over time, when exposed to heat, the wax melts and pools at the bottom of all the panels. Once that happens you hear all the creaks that were otherwise muffled by the wax.

Can anyone confirm this?
        2008 Audi RS4
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I heard that the insides of the body panels are coated in bee's wax for sound deadening. Over time, when exposed to heat, the wax melts and pools at the bottom of all the panels. Once that happens you hear all the creaks that were otherwise muffled by the wax.

Can anyone confirm this?
          I can confirm that I never saw any bee's wax and I had quite a few inside panels of my car off.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

you may find the waxy build up at the bottom of your doors. seen it a bunch. not to sure if it's bees though. never found the hive.
            you probably don't like me because someone else said they didn't lol. <3

Comment

some of you need to learn the difference between stress bars and sway bars.

STRESS bars connect the chassis and help stop the flex, they bolt up in the front between the strut towers, and on the lower part (rare) using what is called a K brace. In the rear the bolt up again between the two strut towers in the trunk. These makes the chassis more rigid.

SWAY bars connect the suspension components together. They help to reduce body roll in cornering so the car stays flatter in the turns. In the front and back these connect the lower suspension areas together.

This is a SWAY bar:

this is a STRESS bar:

This is also a stressbar:

Installing a swaybar on your car wont do anything to reduce flex, and make actually cause more of it. Ideally one would install both stress and sway bars. it makes the car tighter and handle way better so it feels like a rocket car on rails....but its gonna cost you close to $1000 to get all the bars you need.
              Team Highschool
              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I dunno why I post helpful things on here anymore

Rondal is right - BUT a rear sway bar can actually reduce creaking as well. Sway bar's purpose is as he said to resist body roll (especially in cornering) not add stiffness to the chasis. However, if the wheels move relative to each other when their suspensions are connected by a sway bar, the bar is forced to twist, taking up some of the weight and force from the moving suspension parts, which also takes stress off the connection points where those parts are secured to the frame of the car. Or rather it can distribute the weight/force of motion of the suspension especially if you are in a situation like a hill or incline with an uneven weight distribution between sides. This can prevent creaking depending on the source of the creak and whether it is exacerbated by the motion and weight of the suspension.

Anyway, whatever, I put some time into finding all those images and writing up a helpful post so I hope it helped.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post

Rondal is right - BUT a rear sway bar can actually reduce creaking as well. Sway bar's purpose is as he said to resist body roll (especially in cornering) not add stiffness to the chasis. However, if the wheels move relative to each other when their suspensions are connected by a sway bar, the bar is forced to twist, taking up some of the weight and force from the moving suspension parts, which also takes stress off the connection points where those parts are secured to the frame of the car. Or rather it can distribute the weight/force of motion of the suspension especially if you are in a situation like a hill or incline with an uneven weight distribution between sides. This can prevent creaking depending on the source of the creak and whether it is exacerbated by the motion and weight of the suspension.

Anyway, whatever, I put some time into finding all those images and writing up a helpful post so I hope it helped.

true, because the suspension is moving equally it SHOULD stop the chassis twisting in the roll, but what we found when we did this on my friends mk4 was that the lateral force on the chassis that was caused by the suspension movement just led to its own creaking noises beginning.

Lets face it stock VW's are built like crap, and the stock mk4's are notorious for it. If you can grab a front and rear upper stress bar used for cheap. do it. I found all 4 bars individually minus the K brace for less than $500 used. Just have to be patient. Buying new is outrageously expensive.
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                    I don't know either seems like you're always getting slammed these days. I guess no one remembers you used to have a modded mk4 and thinks you're an ass because you have a Porsche now .
                    Jay

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone. Makes alot of sence. I will start with the upper stress bars and see how that helps and go from there. thanks guys!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                        I don't know either seems like you're always getting slammed these days. I guess no one remembers you used to have a modded mk4 and thinks you're an ass because you have a Porsche now .
                        Well to be fair I am a little bit of an ass
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                        X