GTI Creeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTI Creeks?

Has any one with a mk4 golf or GTI had problems with the body creeking under stress? I find if im going down a ramp at an angle, the rear of my car creeks pretty loud as the car flexes. Any way to get around this or help it? Kinda Drives me nuts.

Another thing that seems to creek constantly, it the damn little slidy ash tray thing in front of the stick shift. its always creeking and i need to do something to make it stop lol.
    Last edited by The_Stig; 03-06-2008, 09:52 AM.
    sigpic

Re: GTI Creeks?

I thought I had similar to you but then discovered it is the aftermarket rear swaybar bracket that keeps breaking and grinding the bar against the underpinnings.

The majority of creaks and rattles in mine only showed up following an accident.

Comment

i always get that sound you are describing. i had george hop in my car and i showed him, he basically said thats an mk4 veedub, not much you can do.

Comment

Oh ok. My last GTI (same year) dident do it. Must be random. Think stiffer sway bar bushings or rear strut bar would help at all?
        sigpic

Comment

Haha yeah, actually the Mk4 is/was pretty well known to develop creaking sounds and noises from the body and panels, not much you can do about it, as George said. Its not random, its many factors. Age is one of them, another might be how clean the car is, another might be how much stress the car has been under (if its been driven hard or on rough roads), etc. Things loosen up over time and there is no way to undo that.

If your doors/hatch are creaking, you can adjust the hinges and use a product like gummi-phledge

If your interior bits are creaking, you can try to address them one at a time, you can back some plastic bits that might rub with little felt circles you can buy at hobby stores

You can add noise deadening materials to the car - dynamat etc.

You can add stiffness to the body sometimes, but this may actually increase the noise, just depends. Try a rear sway bar under the car and a strut tower bar in the front AND back.
          Last edited by Kor; 03-06-2008, 10:37 AM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I guess i will just have to get louder speakers then lol
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The_Stig View Post
              I guess i will just have to get louder speakers then lol
              Thats another good option

One thing to remember, other people probably don't notice a little creak or something in your car, you just notice it because you are in it EVERY DAY and you are looking for a problem like that.

For your problem of it only happening when you drive down hills or at angles, its probably because of flex in the body so yeah, get those strut tower bars front and rear and a rear sway bar too if you don't have one.

Front Tower Brace

Front Lower Suspension Brace (Neuspeed, FK makes this)

Rear sway / Anti Roll Bar

Rear anti-stress bar (Yarrowsport, etc)

Last edited by Kor; 03-06-2008, 10:44 AM.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Thanks,
                where do the rear ones attach?
                sigpic

Comment

first volkswagen?

hah
                  REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                  -james

Comment

No, 3rd. But the others were completly quiet.
                    sigpic

Comment

just get some stress bars. it will tighten everything up and stop the creaking.

mk4 chassis are nototrious for flexing, and thats what causes the creaking
                      Team Highschool
                      Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

mine sounds more like the steering column or right around there. to me it sounds like something you could fix with lubrication but apparently you cant.

Comment

Yeah mine is for sure the body flexing. I guess i will try some stress bars thanks.
                          sigpic

Comment

It could possibly be the bushings which are worn out?

Comment

Originally posted by The_Stig View Post
                              Yeah mine is for sure the body flexing. I guess i will try some stress bars thanks.
                              The rear sway bar goes under the car, basically under your rear axle. The rear stress or tie bars go in the hatch of the GTI, they bolt in somehow just behind the rear seat? Depends on who makes them, they are a bit more rare.

I would say the more body stiffness the better, so getting a couple of these won't hurt, try to not add a million pounds to your ride though, get light ones and don't pay too much either since they are just metal bars

Last edited by Kor; 03-06-2008, 03:10 PM.
                              KR
                              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                              X