K04 time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K04 time!

Yesterday I took the plunge and decided to order a K04-001 and a Kinetic hi-flow manifold. Before someone decides to give me the "thats a waste of money, you should have bought...." speach, I'm not after huge numbers, just a reliable daily driver (as well as winter) with a little more kick. I didn't really want the hassle of having to change my downpipe, IC plumbing, and then worry about proper fueling, software, tuning and whatever. If this was just a project car, then absolutely, I'll throw the biggest turbo on there that I can find, but as it sits right now, thats just not a practical option for me. I know the gains wont be huge, but I'm into it for less than what most people would pay for a decent turbo back exhaust, so I think its worth it. Anyhow, I should see it in about a week, and I hope to install it soon after, so I'll keep you guys posted.
    Last edited by VRado6; 03-06-2008, 08:57 AM.
    Mike - 2011 A4 S-Line

Re: K04 time!

Sweet Mike, I like the variety of projects going on here and thats what makes it fun as we all don't want the same exact car either. I hope you will keep us updated on the progress and details!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

good jaerb

Comment

yay mike!

does this mean i have to get intercooled, tuned and turn up my boost so i can keep up :(

Comment

You bet! Or maybe you can just slap on a turbo the size of your head!
          Mike - 2011 A4 S-Line

Comment

Don't post this on Vortex. It will turn into 5 pages of people slamming you.
            Tint sucks

Comment

LOL, yea no kidding. I just don't undertand people's logic on that one. They just don't seem to understand that not everyone wants a 350whp 1.8t for a daily driver.
              Mike - 2011 A4 S-Line

Comment

The only criticism I would have is, will you even get more kick than a chipped K03? If you do then more power to you You should dyno before and after.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

What exactly are the benefits?

Comment

its a slightly bigger OEM turbo than the k03 or k03sport model.. you can boost it up to 20-24psi and your good for 240-260HP with one instead of 215ish with a k03s/chip/exhaust/cup of uncle bens/etc
                    Last edited by R_Ethug; 03-06-2008, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Let me know how it goes, im really throwing the idea around as well. What program are you going with? Are you going to upgrade injectors, and FPR?

You should definately do a dyno before and after.
                      Mitesh

Comment

congrats on the wise turbo choice, mefro its a great idea . i have seen this (and drove in ) a few k04 cars works great , not to mention my tt has k04 in it its great . way more pep than k03
                        Last edited by turbomeyers; 03-06-2008, 05:41 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

haha i was gonna say go for a test drive in a chipped 225 tt and thats what its like haha
                          Last edited by R_Ethug; 03-06-2008, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by turbomeyers View Post
                            congrats on the wise turbo choice, mefro its a great idea . i have seen this (and drove in ) a few k04 cars works great , not to mention my tt has k04 in it its great . way more pep than k03
                            Your K04-020 is much different.

The k04-001 is a bolt on, unlike the k04-20. Its got the same compressor as the K03 sport but a larger exhaust wheel. Most people pick up a K04-001 when their K03s is on its way out.

The K04-001 holds slightly more boost and has a fatter torque band than the K03sport. Realisticly, the K04-001 will give you is an extra 10whp and 20ft/lb tq with basic bolt-ons. Some people have been able to produce more power but for the amount of work and $$ involved, its usually just a better idea to go BT. From what ive read, people compare the feeling to getting "chipped" again.

Im probably gonna go this route aswell when the K03sport kicks the bucket. Its dirt cheap and reliable.
                            Tint sucks

Comment

the guy above was right, dont post this on vortex cause you will get flamed.

i wont waste my time with the "speach" of this is a waste of money, you've already dont it and made up your mind.

For others planning to do this mod, spend some time on the vortex or other sites in the 1.8T and Forced induction tech forums reading of the articles of what you can get out of your stock K03, and the better choices than the K04 for turbo upgrades. The K04 isn't really an "upgrade" at all once you do some reading.
                              Team Highschool
                              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Working...
                              X