Factory Skid Plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Skid Plate

Just a quick question for everyone, especially those buying aluminum skid plates. The original skid plate is 11 or 12 gauge steel (over 0.100" thick), and attaches to the block. This seems like a pretty good setup, but most people don't have them? Why is the factory skid plate removed on most MK4s if the pan is so vulnerable?

The dealer removed mine in December because the plastic pins were broken off, but I got it from them after. I went to re-install it this weekend with bolts and found that there should be 2 bolts/screws and 2 plastic pins. I am replacing the plastic pins with bolts, but couldn't get ahold of the metric hardware I needed to use the existing threaded holes. FYI, a 3/8" (and probably 10mm) bolt fits just fine through the rubber grommet where the pins were, they just need to be cut off and a large washer goes on top with the nut to hold it together.

Also, I had never seen the orginal pan heater. Kind of a joke, maybe 3" square, 250W.
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: Factory Skid Plate

your car must be a 2.slo they did have a factory guard around the oil pan it self . this usually breaks off and leaves your pan exposed , the aluminum plates protects all the driveline componants , including transmission and oil pan as well as keeping dirt and snow arround the belts , they are mounted with bilet shafts in the front and to the cross member in the rear of the compartment , verry good choice , i stock them if you want and install is free for eurodrivers members
    sigpic

Comment

250 W is plenty of heat for that oil pan. on a helicopter transmission nearly a half an inch thick our company only uses 200W units and on a neg 30 day the oil temp gauge reads 10-15 deg. don,t underestimate the power of those small looking pads
      2003 Jetta GLI VR6

Comment

Originally posted by 62degVR6 View Post
        250 W is plenty of heat for that oil pan. on a helicopter transmission nearly a half an inch thick our company only uses 200W units and on a neg 30 day the oil temp gauge reads 10-15 deg. don,t underestimate the power of those small looking pads
        Where did this come from......

Never mind saw the rest of the first post.
        Last edited by ; 03-03-2008, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Also, I had never seen the orginal pan heater. Kind of a joke, maybe 3" square, 250W.
          right here
          2003 Jetta GLI VR6

Comment

Working...
          X