• Show
Clear All

Re: 2009 Scirocco Announced!

Grill could reappear for a Scirroco-R

Comment

Some new pics

Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

interior is nice.. i like it more in those pics but i'd have to see one in person

Comment

i'm not sure yet, but I don't mind it.
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

The rear half of the car just kills it for me...The front half is nice though
            Jordan
            Jerbel Autowerks

Distributor of parts from:
            JAW, 034 Motorsport, Power Up Lubricants and OEM replacement parts
            (403) 690-7135
            jordan@jerbelautowerks.com

Comment

After a slew of leaks, Volkswagen has officials unveiled its Scirocco hatchback, which goes on sale in Europe later this summer. The car is on display this week at the Geneva Motor Show.

“In the Scirocco we will be bringing the kind of sports car into the showroom that people dream of. Yet it is a dream that an exceptionally large number of car drivers will be able to afford — despite all of the high-end technologies we have implemented,” CEO Dr. Martin Winterkorn said.

With a length of 168 inches, the Scirocco is on par with the Golf. However, it is built significantly lower to the ground and is nearly as wide as the larger Passat sedan.

There is seating for four adults, including the driver. Once they are all aboard, the Scirocco provides 292 liters of cargo capacity; when the two seatbacks of the individual rear seats are folded down, capacity increases to 755 liters.

There are three TSI gasoline engines offered and one TDI diesel. The gas engines deliver 120, 158, or 145 horsepower. The diesel motor develops 140 horsepower. The standard transmission is a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox.

A panoramic glass roof is available, which extends from the A-pillars to the B-pillars. The glass reflects 99 percent of UV radiation, 97 percent of infrared radiation (heat) and 80 percent of visible light.

Standard features include 17-inch alloy wheels, height adjustable driver and front passenger seats and steering wheel, leather parking brake grip, sport seats, split folding rear seats, power windows, air conditioning, ESP, braking assistant, six airbags, speed-dependent power steering, and of course a sport chassis.

U.S. availability

Reports surfaced a few months ago suggesting the Scirocco would not be offered in the North American market, but the appearance of prototypes this summer on U.S. soil suggests otherwise.

In late April, Volkswagen of America executive Adrian Hallmark said the new Scirocco hatchback would not come to the United States because "we don't want it." He implied it would cannibalize sales of the GTI.

But in May, spokesman Hans-Gerd Bode said the final decision will not be made by Volkswagen of America, but rather by VW CEO Martin Winterkorn in Germany.
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Black & White interior shots & some more Geneva pics

Latest info from the Vortex

Editors Note: The new Scirocco is *NOT* going to be sold in the U.S. at this time. VWoA feels the new Scirocco is too similar to the GTI in form and doesn't make sense to bring over. While we think the new Scirocco looks better than the IROC concept, it still isn't what a proper Scirocco should look like. Volkswagen had a beautiful opportunity to build a great looking coupe that would be unique in the lineup and instead has built a hotter GTI. As much as we like the way this thing looks on its own, we're disappointed the "new" Scirocco didn't turn out like it could have.
                Blair

Comment

What's the point of making a slower, 1 less passenger, and potentially more expensive (based on the interior), GTI??
                  Did anyone at VW call Volvo about ripping off the C30, but dropping in vastly inferior powertrain choices?

Comment

Well I agree that I am not sure what is the goal behind this car I do have to say I really like it and would prefer it over a MKV GTI.

Anyway here is a pic of a red one and the latest rumor is that VW will be putting this car into WRC for the 2009 season.

Blair

Comment

No Sirocco for us

http://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/2782272.phtml
                      2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
                      2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
                      2001 Audi A4 - RIP
                      2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
                      2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
                      2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
                      1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
                      2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

I don't mind the look at all, it's nice to hear that it's going to be lower and wider than the GTI which should help the handling, and that should set it apart some. The interior is pretty nice too.

It sounds like it will still be underpowered though with only 160hp
                        Jay

Comment

Still like it, needs more power to make sense, although there's no torque numbers on the TDI it could be interesting...

Comment

Working...
                          X