timing belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• timing belt

hey guys.. just wondering how you know if your car need a new timing belt... my car has just over 100k but i just bought it so i wanna know if i should change the timing belt or not ...... i kinda checked it out .... cant see no wear n tear but....... then again i dont know if that even matter.. anyways please let me know ... thx

cheers!!

Re: timing belt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timing_belt

Comment

I say replace it. Your better safe than sorry. Spend some cash now or spend huge cash later.
      Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
      You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Volkstech View Post
        I say replace it. Your better safe than sorry. Spend some cash now or spend huge cash later.
        what am i looking at here as far as $$$ is concerned?? plus the labour and all.. b/c i was checking out the DIYs on it.. and seems like a long task.... i dont have the proper tools 4 it i guess.... whats the best place to get a new belt from.... please dont say the dealership

Comment

plus how often should this be changed anyhow... (ive heard alota different answers)

Comment

I think, dont quote me, but I think Geroge at Tunedub will do it for 750 all in, and they are good for 100K. Call him tomorrow and ask, he'll give you the straight goods.
            Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
            Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
            "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

dont forget to change your waterpump while you are at it... mine went and it can be a *****

Comment

The belt is supposed to be good for over 100K, the water pump is not. And the water pump is pretty much a timing belt job so both are done at the same time. 700 or 750 was the damage for mine at tunedub.

I wouldn't just go and do it - surely your car came with service records? A dealership where the service was done? Find out. If you can't find a record, then you gotta suck it up and assume it wasn't done.
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Mine was good until like 140k

Comment

5 Years Or 100k. And If It Brakes You're Fooked. People Like To Sell Vw's At 100k So They Don't Have To Replace The Belt. Full Job Is Tbelt, Tensioner And Waterpump. Like Davy Said Cash Now, Or Engine Later. Better Safe Than Sorry. Oh and VW says the belt will make it to 160K, good luck with that in our climate.
                    Last edited by Bullfrog; 02-12-2008, 08:39 AM.
                    1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
                    2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

dammmmmmmmmmmmmm....... thats alota cash.. but ya better cash it now then engine later..... wow... guess i gotta do what i gotta do.. :(

Comment

Mine's up for a belt change too... Go to tunedub for sure. George is the nicest guy you'll ever deal with...
                        drive green ||
                        2003 Volkswagen Jetta 1.8T - ex old fun car
                        2011 Mercedes Benz B200 Turbo - daily getter

Comment

Originally posted by hopya View Post
                          Mine's up for a belt change too... Go to tunedub for sure. George is the nicest guy you'll ever deal with...
                          ya no doubt... my baby's sittin with George right now .. i miss it

Comment

Originally posted by shaz23 View Post
                            ya no doubt... my baby's sittin with George right now .. i miss it
                            why?

Comment

Originally posted by nordex View Post
                              why?
                              See thread title
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                              X