X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

okkk i got yet more problems with my car

i own a 2003 VW GTI 1.8T, 102K...

this is starting to get annoying... i just bought this car a while ago and am noticing little problems (hopefully) and they keep increasing everyday, or i didnt notice them before... i hope i didnt get ripped off

i posted at other places but no feedback... theres alota feedback here so hopefully ya'll can help me out... im just scared some of these problems are seriouss... cuz i really cant afford or make time to repair major problems.. anyways heres the list of the problems i have been noticing

if you are familiar with any of these or have solutions to them , plz let me know ASAP.. thx

1) when i start the car and it has been sittin for a while in cold weather.... it makes this weird sound right when i start her up... it sort of sounds like when u try to ignite the car or turn the key to turn it on when its already on. i was just wondering if this is normal b/c of the cold, sound is pretty painfull

2) my reverse gear kind of grinds for the first time after i start her up also... only the 1st time though... then its usually ok... it either slightly grinds or needs force to lock in... any ideeas on this??? (sounds kinda normal, just wondering to be on the safe side)

3) my fuse on my power outlet was out.. so i changed it... all was well... but now the lighting on the temprature controls doesnt light up when i turn my inside lights on... after a while it just comes on if it feels like it... didnt do this before..... y?? does it just need a bulb replacement?? but it comes on eventually so..... but everything else lights up just not the temp. control...

4) ok, this one is annoying... i recently changed the clip on my hood that holds the hood down by cliping on to it... it was bent out of shape so my hood wouldnt close properly, sooo i changed the whole part and its fine now.. but..... to my knowledge when you lock your car it only makes that horn sound if your doors, trunk, hood are properly closed right?? and your radio has to be pushed in properly (or somthin like that).. but ya.. sometimes my car doesn't make that horn sound to activate the security system even though my doors n all are properly shut..... so i have a feeling something about changing that part 4 the hood went wrong.. sounds like a sensor problem where it thinks the hood is still open.. anyways, anybody got any ideas on this one???

5) k now this one... probably normal.. but i noticed my engines gotten louder when im standing still. i can hear a rotating sound (which engines make normally) but the sound goes away when i hit the clutch..... but come back when im in nuetral not holding down the clutch.... the thing thats throwing me off is that i didnt notice this before... seems like it just started doing it recently......

6) kkkkkkkk this one is actually trippin me out.... hope i can explain this properly... so when i take off... this weird grinding-like sounds comes from around my right tire (thats where i think its comin from anyways..) it usually happens if the road/surface is snowy, slippery, or has alota gravel.... or even if i take off up hill.. so to sum it up it makes this sound when theres a bit of force on the car taking of for w/e reason whether it be slippery or wet... any ways .. 1st i thought it was just my tires slighty peeling out.. or skidding/ slighty burning out.. .but its not that (though it kinda sounds like it) because if it was, the sound would come from both tires..... and it only comes from one side (the right side).. plus i tried taking off fast and when my tires do skid i can feel/hear them from both sides.. so it cant be that.. plus i have new tires so that shouldnt really be a problem in snow ............. kkk now ill try to describe the sound to the best of my ability.... its sounds like peeling out...or kinda like abs brakes... i thought it was from the traction controll somehow but i dont know.... it makes the sound right when i take off though, and doesnt when the roads are fine.... it sounds like my tires are grinding against my mud guards but i dont have mud guards haha soo it cant be that either...... so somebody plz help me with this.. i have a bad feeling its serious and might cost me big $$ to fix it up.......

7) k last one... for now .... i guess. this one agian probably aint serious but just windering... i noticed that my shocks make alota noise especially when the cars cold... takes a while for them to stop making noise.. anyways..... when im driving and i hit the brakes, i hear sounds coming from my shocks( i think its my shocks, hopefully) .. so ya because of the downforce on my front end due do slowing down... my shocks squeek.. my rear ones do it too, not as much though.. or maybe i cant hear them as clear as my front ones... anyways.. my bros car does this too.. is it safe or normal?????

thx for taking time to read this.. sorry for the long post.. i just cant get help about these problems.. maybe im a little paranoid haha... my cars like my baby to me so.....it hurts to see her in pain

hope to hear from ya'll soon
    thx again
    cheers!
    Last edited by shaz23; 02-07-2008, 02:00 PM. Reason: type 0

Re: Help!!!

sorry 4 the double post.....touch screens gets really annoying...

Comment

1) I get the first problem... starter stays engaged for a second or two too long. In some cases you can fix this with some cleaning i hear... i haven't got too worried about it quite yet. If it gets worse, i'll worry.

2) If reverse is tough, go in to first or second first, then reverse. I think this is relatively normal.

3) just a bulb. you have to pull off the middle dial, and there is a bulb behind it for the panel.

4) dont think the hood counts as an open door. more likely a microswitch in the driver or passenger door. do the interior lights come on and go off with both doors? Microswitch is a bit of a pricey fix, but there are good DIY's on this

5) not sure

6)there is a traction control of sorts that will assist if you spin out while going less then about 30km.

7) squeaks are more likely sway bar bushings then shocks. not too expensive.
      Last edited by stefan; 02-07-2008, 02:12 PM.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I will try and ease someof your worries. I can only relate to what I have had happen.

2) My reverse makes the noise ands ticks when its cold. Solution I found that works is.....put in 1st and drive forward 1-2 inches. Then reverse. This problem is worse when its cold ouside and my car sits for long periods.

4)Hood-I know all my doors/hood/trunk have to be closed for the car to make the sound. Sometimes I forget to close the hood all the way after I plug my car in. My reminder is the car not making that annoying dying cow sound.

5)Noise with clutch.....had same issue about 6 months after I had a 1.8t clutch and lightened flywheel installed. Went to 3 tranny shops and VW and tey all said the same thing....RELEASE BEARING. I took it to George for a timing belt and the sound went away. So either release bearing or timing belt tensioner(which I have no idea would effect the noise. I am lost for an explaination on this)

7)Shocks-mine do the same thing. I have a eibach system setup and they are noisy until they warm up(so to speak). Usually goes away about half way to work.

I hope this helps some. Others on here are good for more info and will fill you in on your other issues.

Comment

1) My jetta does the same thing. Never been to worries about it. It only does it the odd times or on cold start ups. I wouldnt be worried
          2) My reverse gear does the same thing from time to time.
          5) vws are known for having noisy engines when ideling. Could just be normal?
          6) Sounds like normal traction controll to me. When ever the front tires slips u should gear and loud clunky grinding sound and the car kinda shakes. Look to see if your traction controll light flickers when this is happening. If it does, its normal.
          7) Could be your springs like stated above, or time to replace your strut bar bushings. I did mine, its easy.
          sigpic

Comment

1) Starter issue... not sure.

2) Try putting it in a forward gear and rolling very slightly, then reverse.
            Possible solution: Perform shift cable/linkage alignment.

3) Replace bulb and/or fuse. Easy.

4) Door sensor is maybe frozen or stuck. Clean inside the edges of your doors and sills. Might need service. Don't think it has anything to do with the hood.

5) Not sure, take it to a shop or dealership and ask what they think. Or if you're in Calgary, come out to the meet tonight and get one of us to listen to your car?

6) Might be ABS getting stuck, I think Bart might have had an ABS sensor issue at one point, sounds the same, maybe he will chime in. Or send a private message to 'bart'.

7) Shocks should never squeek, ever. Might be bushings as someone else already suggested. Might need new shocks or for them to be tightened somehow.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

if the shock itself squeaks, its long since died. and a spring really has no moving parts. Bushings can get noisy though, if they are worn.

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...hlight=bushing
              Stefan
              -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
              -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
              -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
              -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

This FS thread has some info about that ABS type problem:

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/sho...art+abs+sensor

If you're in Calgary you could also take your car to Tunedub, sometimes George puts a bit more effort into finding little problems than the dealership. Or at least is honest about it - if he can't find whats wrong, he'll just say so, rather than making up some story or billing you for work that you don't need done.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

take it into the shop.

Comment

1. is detinetly the starter. You can find some DIY fixes on places like the TDIclub.com forums.
                    2. You should be able to adjust the shifter linkages and it should fix that problem (if not you have tranny problems)
                    4. Check to see if you disconnected the microswitch.
                    5. Sounds like a cold clutch, likely weather.
                    6. This sounds like a bad wheel bearing or CV joint. You can also check the control arm bushing. It could even be a ball joint. If the sound is coming from one side something is failing, go get it checked.
                    7. If you can check to see if the shocks are leaking, if they are they are shot and need to be replaced. Otherwise it may just be the swaybar bushings (not my first bet) or the upper shock bushings. Take your car over a wavey road, if there is a lot of bounce in the front and little dampening it is time to change your shocks/struts.

Now keep in mind I am not a professional and these are just my opinions from my experience. I hope you had a very through inspection done before oyu bought the vehicle as it sounds like you have some repairs to do to get it up to snuff.
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

dude... much love guys..... big ups to all that helped... highly appreciated!!!

sounds like i should get it checked out .. especially the sound comin from the right side

i'll drop in2 Goerge's shop n get that checked out ... but ya Eurodrivers.ca is the S**T

thx 4 the help guys.

BTW - where can i get some stickers for eurodriver.ca, i wanna spread the word so ppl can get help cuz i just joined and im gettin mad help here.. lotsa feedback... i actually saw a sticker on a jetta myself near the Tim Hortons on 32nd st haha.. actually the jettas usually there soo big ups to whose car that is haha.... i woulda not known bout this forum site if it wasnt for him/her haha... alright guys

thx once again..
                      cheers!!
                      RESPECT!!

Comment

kk .. to clear some things upp...

as for #6 (sound coming from the right side of the car when taking off) - this sound not only comes when i try to take off fast. i could take off slow as hell and it still comes.... and the traction light doesn't come on when this happens so thats why i dont think its a traction thing... but ya from the feedback it sounds serious so im going to get it checked out before its too late....and the best way to describe it is that it sounds like my tire grinding against the mud guard....and i also have been noticing that the sounds comes more when im turning while taking off rather than just heading straight... anyways, time to pay the shop a visit... more expenses i guess

and for #7 (shock problem) the noise only comes when i brake or let go of the gas after puishing it fast, but is fine over bumps and is not bouncy or nothing so i think the shocks are doing ok....but ya it does eventually go away.... so maybe its just b/c of the cold...

but ya.... ill head over to the shop to get that problem checked out ..
                        thx again 4 the help guys
                        cheers!!!

Comment

Seems like you have alot of feedback so far...
                          Ill lend my opinoin
                          1) The rough start up could be because your oil is still sitting at the bottom of your engine and it needs a while to circulate.
                          2) Cant help much with this one
                          3) Could be lose wiring in your instament cluster. May want to get this one checked out
                          4) My hood did the same thing after my accident. I rear ended someone and smacked up the grill and bent the hood a bit. This has to do with the sensor in the hood latch. Seen as how you replaced it, it may not have a snesor or it isnt picking it up prpoerly.
                          5) Could be a rough idle. Run some injector cleaner or some other gas additives and that may help over time.
                          6) Could be one of two things. As mentioned above it could be your bushings or something in and around your suspension set up. I doubt it is your actual coils. As for the traction control light not coming on, this could be linked to your temp gauge lights not coming on(again could be lose wiring). Im betting it is because of your car actually doing the traction control but the light just isnt coming on.
                          7) Cant think of anything specific other than shitty front brakes perhaps, especially of you do alot of hard breaking.

Hope this helps
                          Sorry if I re wrote someone elses guesses, im a selective reader
                          -Drew
                          2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
                          1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                            1)

Possible solution: Perform shift cable/linkage alignment.

k. i gotta get up on this.. if anyone runs accross a DIY on how to do this.... or a guide or what not... please link me with it .... i wanna do this ASAP... thx!!

Comment

I think you should take it to someone instead of DIY

Comment

Working...
                              X