CV Joint Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CV Joint Replacement

I haven't seen much discussion of this in the forums, but I'm pretty sure a CV joint went today(I've never heard one before). Made a couple clicks on turns when transitioning between braking and accel or vice versa.

I only put on 5 or 10 km during the day today, then tonight immediately upon heading out the clicking got pretty nasty when the driveline has slack. Under either accel, braking it doesn't do it.

Also, it's the left front and when taking a faster, tighter right curve the joint won't make a noise but as soon as the compression is off the suspension and driveline the noise begins again.

The only thing I can think of is a front sway bar mount but that's not it, the link is fine.

So what's the deal, replace the whole left driveline? Just a halfshaft and joint? What's the best approach?
    Last edited by kuhli; 08-28-2003, 11:17 AM.

How many KM's do you have on your car right now? It's possible your cv-joints are going... but they're definitely not gone from what you have described.

Peter

Comment

kms

Yes I would say going, not gone...

28,000 km, if it's CV its a defective part, or a result of the car sitting for 8 months shortly after it was purchased Jan 13/01. I guess the powertrain warranty should cover this, I've done no modifications, the car is bone stock and within the 5 yr 80k powertrain warranty.

It's definitely driveline because it responds the same clutch in or out. The only time it happens is when there's slack regardless of going onto power or off of it. Also, it's isolated to the left side. To my knowledge these are the only things that could cause the noise:

1. Inner CV Joint
      2. Outer CV Joint
      3. Wheel bearing
      4. I gather there must be a bearing in the transmission housing where the driveshaft exits.

Comment

Yah dude, you are still under full warranty. Get it checked out and if repairs are needed... obviously, without question, have them fixed... and if you don't mind, post your invoice for the rest of the members to see... just in case this is a problem for some in the future.

Here's to hoping this is just a fluke... 28,000KM is low. Damn low.

Peter

Comment

The swaybar endlinks might out of grease therefore make noise. It is common on the hot days. My Jetta having the same problem as well.

CV joint can be broken without a symptom. I broke some before because of wrong left foot braking technique applied. All I can feel was some knocks on the steering wheel when turns. When it really break, your car cannot be driven or move because the differential have no friction on one side to distribute the power equally.
          “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

Check for noise from the endlinks.

Park your car on an uneven road.
            Push or rock each end of the front.
            “If you think your car is under control, you’re going slow.”

Comment

My CV joints must be loose or something. I get a clicking noise whenever i turn the wheel to one side or when going over bumps you can hear them. I have to go in for my 16,000 KM servicing soon lets hope they can fix this problem.

QuA
              2008 BMW 135i | M Package | JB3 | DCI | BMW Performance Exhaust

Comment

that's how it started

The noise started like that, during slow turns. Then after a few drives it got very serious sounding, then on the dropoff drive to the dealer today it didn't make much noise at all.

Based upon how it sounded radically worse the second time around I wouldn't delay that 16k service at all!

Comment

You can always check the CV joint rubber boots for tears. If you find one, you can almost be guaranteed that the joint is going or gone.

You can drive for quite some time on a cv joint that's going bad. It will let you know when it needs to be replaced. The clunking will become insanely loud, will be present when turning right left or going straight. But by all means, get it fixed while you're still under the bumper to bumper warranty.

Unfortunately, CV joints are considered a wear item, so it may not be covered under the 5/80 warranty.
                  1995 gti-vr6
                  g-chip, tt 2.5" ss, Eurosport Intake, DE brake upgrade, vb front mount,
                  Velocity lightened flywheel, HR Cup Kit

Comment

there will be a scrap

if they try not to warrant a CV joint with 28,000 km on the vehicle. Bloody Murder!!!

And oh yes, the noise did get insanely, embarrassingly loud, and then on the drive to the dealer to drop the car off, it was nearly gone.

Thanks for the info though...

Comment

I had a broken CV joint on my car around 18000km on the passenger side, it was replaced under warranty. You shouldn't have any problems if u aren't modded.
                      Bryce

2002 Jetta 1.8T Baltic Green Tiptronic
                      APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Comment

update, it's not the CV joint

Ok.

So the CV joint was replaced on warranty, no problems, no questions. For your info the complete driveshaft (both ends), new, not rebuilt CV joint's full price was about $750, the dealer's price was $650, or at least that's what they charged themselves for the part. The time required was 1.5 hours if I remember right, funny, to replace a broken seat latch in the back they wanted 2.5 hours.

Problem is, the noise was still there, I asked them if they test drove, they said yes, but didn't. So the car went back in this morning. Makes noise on slack drivetrain with clutch in or out, won't make noise under accel/decel or when turning right with slack drive-train.

I stuck around this time for a diagnosis, they put the car on hoist and used a stethoscope to listen and low and behold the noise comes from the driver's side end of the transmission. Probably the left output bearing but we'll have to wait and see what the dirty diagnosis is.

At this time it appears as though it's covered by the 5 yr 80 km powertrain warranty, provided that there's been no non-volks work done to the tranny.

Pheewwww, it's warranted.

Comment

Brand New tranny ordered...

Comment

Bart's CV-joints just blew today... guess he'll be joining the club.

Peter

Comment

yes thats right. and my car came to a roll on 25th ave. i noticed a sound a couple of days ago, and today, when taking turns, especially in second under a good load of gas, a vibrating sound could be heard. i thought i was my tires and the tread or something at first. but today while cruising with peter and simon to buy some doughuts, on a turn i shifted from 2nd to 3rd and thats it. no more go. i heard a little grinding sound and that was it.

i can put the car in all the gears, when i give it gas, the speedo goes up, but it doesnt drive, or at least one side doesnt. its not a pleasant sight as peter said. i tried driving it, but the whole wheel violently shakes.

kuhli: do you have any mods done to your car? if so, what, and which dealership did you take it too? i have 27,500km on my car now.
                              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Working...
                              X