Wheel Bearing Replacment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel Bearing Replacment

My front right wheel bearing is making too much noise and needs to be replaced asap. I already bought a replacement which is waiting for my install but i have a few questions regarding the install.

I know you can rent a tool to get the wheel bearing out, but how would i press it back in? Does anyone rent a presser?

Would it be easier/better to take the whole hub out and have a shop take the old one out and press a new one in? I know ill need to do the aligment after if i go this route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Compton; 01-30-2008, 05:29 PM.
    Originally posted by RedMile
    Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
    Originally posted by Smarty39
    haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Re: Wheel Bearing Replacment

I believe you have to take the hub off either way. I haven't seen any writeups with anyone doing it any other way. I would just take it to George and have him deal with it. I personally did mine not long ago and it was a PITA. BTW do not buy any after market bearings that are made in Korea.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I've swapped wheels bearings when it was only tire noise, check the wheel for play and maybe swap a tire front to back to confirm. I spent monty that wasent needed.

Like Brent Said, to change the actual bearing, pull the whole assembly and take it to a shop where thy can press it out/in
      Last edited by RobG; 01-31-2008, 08:11 AM.

Comment

on car with the right tools\]
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X