No announcement yet.

complete panel replacement in accident?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• complete panel replacement in accident?

i'm curious, what if someone hits the panel just above the rear wheel...

look its part of the roof and on the bottom it goes all the way to the front doesn't it? is that whole piece replaced???? how much does that cost??

it's just a fyi, for me.
    Last edited by bart; 01-25-2008, 05:27 PM.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Re: complete panel replacement in accident?

if it cant be pulled and straightened it is then cut and is replace with anoter one by welding it into place.
    Originally posted by RedMile
    Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
    Originally posted by Smarty39
    haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

Yup they cut and weld. As for cost I bet at going body shop rates right now it would be about $8-10,000.
      Name: Brent
      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

ouch
        sigpic

Comment

The repair for my car was more then that and it was a 4 door. My bet is a 2 door would be even more hench me estimate.
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

$8-10,000 what the hell drugs are you people on and WHAT asses do you pull these figures out of.

My GTi I bought with rear quarter panel damage and it was $5000 to fully fix, and that included pulling the door which was slightly dented and repainting the rear bumper that had scuff marks, as well as replacing the rear quarter panel because i wanted it done right.
            Team Highschool
            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
              $8-10,000 what the hell drugs are you people on and WHAT asses do you pull these figures out of.

My GTi I bought with rear quarter panel damage and it was $5000 to fully fix, and that included pulling the door which was slightly dented and repainting the rear bumper that had scuff marks, as well as replacing the rear quarter panel because i wanted it done right.
              Haha I was going to post something like this too, my mom had her car (not a VW but same type of panel) smashed and then fixed and it was under $5k and they painted one whole side of the car. They didn't do a super job but I dunno about $10,000, that would be like 125 hours of labour at a typical shop rate, or like a full month of full time employee work on the car.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

10K is a LOT of damage on a vehicle. Maybe it starts becoming close to that with while in the accident the frame is bent, the wheel is destroyed, the hatch is damaged, both windows and toasted, and various other things....but 10K is a lot.
                Team Highschool
                Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

My bros truck had a 5th wheel jackknife and it wrecked the box, damadge the back of the cab and blew out the glass and it was only $7 grand for repair
                  12 Volvo XC 90
                  03 Jetta1.8T
                  95 Cabrio VRT
                  90 G60 Corrado

Colleen at 403-819-0132 or colleen@brayco.ca for all your mortgage needs.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                    I pulled that number you of my ass from experience thanks.
                    You are forgetting the fact that MK4's have about 3 different sections of metal in the frame. I have seen it first hand how they are repaired, have you? Didn't think so. Considering most body shops are $150-200 an hour I think a whole panel replacement is very expensive.

Comment

I had this exact same thing done when I bought my 4door golf, got in a fender bender the day I bought it in which there was a huge dent above rear wheel well.

Like said above, they cut out a section and weld in a new section. The entire section has to be bought as a whole from VW though, so the boxes they come in are quite large. As for price, 8-10k is laughable. Pretty sure mine was ~$3000 all said and done, I know this because I paid cash.

Here's a pic of the panel I bought and had shipped to my house. Cheaper to order parts yourself than let the bodyshop order them and add on profit for themselves.

Last edited by Simon; 01-26-2008, 03:35 PM.
                      Simon

Comment

Working...
                      X