Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery

I took my car into a local mechanical shop this morning to get a couple things looked at. One of them being my battery.
    They tested it and it gave a low reading. He said he was surprised to see it still running.
    He said that if he replaced it then my key wouldnt work and that I would need to replace that as well. All of this would be nearly $300.
    Needless to say I didnt have him do it.
    I can change my own battery but what I was wondering is if by changing it, would it mess anything up with my key or other electronics in the car? Other than resetting clock/stereo?
    Thanks

Drew
    -Drew
    2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
    1990 Lincoln Continental

Re: Battery

should only need to re-enter the unlock code on the stereo. wouldn't hurt to buy one of those battery post/terminal cleaners too. they are <10$, and make it easy to clean up the terminals before you put them on the new battery. i've had my battery disconnected several times and there were no issues.

why would a key not work after loosing power? you mean like the ignition key? i can't imagine every vw owner gets new keys every time they leave their headlights on too long...
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

You may have to reprogram the key, depending on how long the power is off. With the car unlocked, lock it manually, then unlock with the remote within 5 seconds or something like that. There is another procedure with the key in the ignition to reset it, but I think that is for the immobilizer if you replace the battery in the remote.

You do not need new keys!!
      Jeff
      Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
      Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Thats what I figured. Thatd be one hell of a scheme if everyone needed to do that.
        Thanks stefan, I think I will pick up one of the battery terminal cleaners.
        I have an aftermarket stereo, Im betting that I wouldnt need my code for that?
        -Drew
        2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
        1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

no.. the code is entered right in the vw stereo itself, aftermarket stereo is not effected.
          Stefan
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

that is crazy that he wanted you to buy a new key!
            2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
            My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
              no.. the code is entered right in the vw stereo itself, aftermarket stereo is not effected.
              ONLY A/M STEREO I HAVE SEEN THAT NEEDS A CODE IS BLAPUNKT
              1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
              2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

which so called 'shop' was this? giving you all kinds of horseshit?

pls post so that we can all avoid that place like the plague
                Now: 00 2dr Golf TDI, 03 Jetta Wagon TDI, 02 2500HD Duramax
                Then: 69 SC Transporter, 84 Rabbit GTI, 87 Fox GL, 91 Golf IDI, 96 Passat Wagon TDI, 97 Jetta IDI
                "Everything I save by driving diesel I put back due to poor German engineering and crappy Mexican workmanship!"

Comment

I think a lot of aftermarket stereos have the option of using a code, but is off by default.
                  Jeff
                  Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
                  Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

i would call that shop and tear them a new ******* for trying to mislead you. what a bunch of crooks
                    Team Highschool
                    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

So is 5 years about avg time to replace the bat? I'm noticing it doesn't start quite as quickly as it used to, but it's certainly not a lot more.
                      Geoff
                      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I too would like to know which shop quoted you that info about the keys...

Comment

I would like to know who tod you that as they are obviously trying to bend you over.

5 years sounds about average for a battery especcially with the cold we get in winter.
                          Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
                            So is 5 years about avg time to replace the bat? I'm noticing it doesn't start quite as quickly as it used to, but it's certainly not a lot more.
                            i'd say thats about reasonable for regular use. less if you have a big stereo.
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

My old 85 diesel golf went though a battery every year. Keep in mind those where Crappy tire batteries. A good quality battery will last up to 5 years or more. The batteries I have have some level of warranty for up to 5 years.
                              Name: Brent
                              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Working...
                              X