ZeroStart Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZeroStart Install

I installed my ZeroStart today. Instructions are included for 2001 Jetta 2.0L, with AVH (drive by wire) engine. Use at your own risk, etc. etc.

Parts used from ZeroStart kit:
    3/4"-5/8" Y connection
    6x 5/8" hose clamps
    bolt/nut/lockwasher

Extra parts that did not come with kit:
    1/4" bolt, 3.5" long, and nylock nut
    5/8" T connector (Princess Auto)
    6 feet 5/8" heater line (Canadian Tire)
    2x 3/4" hose clamps (for 3/4" hose) (Rona)

Parts I made:
    2 clips for attaching to battery tray
    Spacer (for clips)
    Angle bracket

Steps:
    1. Made forward bracket out of some angle. Installed on inboard bolt for attaching fan control module under battery. Installed ZeroStart on bracket with nut/bolt/lock washer that came with kit.

2. Made aft attachment. Spacer from ZeroStart up to edge of battery tray, couple of clips that grip onto the edge of the tray, bolt through every thing. Bolt head on side of ZeroStart, nylock nut on top of clips.

3. Tighten bolts down. ZeroStart now held rigidly in place.

Looking down at ZeroStart, beside and below battery:

Looking out towards drivers side:

(Red outline is brackets, Blue is ZeroStart, Green is new hoses)

4. Disconnect lower oil cooler hose and drain coolant from block.

5. Install 2" of 5/8" heater hose on left "arm" of T connection. Install 6" of 5/8" heater hose on perpendicular leg of T connection. Tighten down hose clamps on T.

6. Slip 5/8" hose clamp on 2" heater hose on T. Install on oil cooler connection. Do not tighten clamp.

7. Cut rubber connecting oil cooler inlet/outlet hoses. Slide original oil cooler hose onto right arm of T. Use original spring clamp.

8. Rotate T to align 6" hose to prevent kinks when routed to ZeroStart. Slip 5/8" hose clamp on 6" heater hose. Install on lower (inlet) ZeroStart connection.

9. Tighten all hose clamps on T and 2" and 6" hoses.

Looking at oil cooler connection:

10. Cut 30" of heater hose. Slip 5/8" hose clamp on end. Install on upper (outlet) ZeroStart connection.

11. Realize I don't have enough hose clamps. Plug 30" line with 5/8" rod. Refill coolant, drive to Rona, get 5/8" hose clamps, get dinner because now the coolant has to cool before I can work on it again.

12. Now that car has cooled, disconnect larger hose going to heater core at the firewall. Remove hose from engine block outlet flange. Drain coolant.

13. Cut original heater hose at centre of straight section near middle of hose.

14. Discover that hose to heater core is not 5/8" as I thought, but actually 3/4". Hose clamps I have (5/8") don't fit. Getting late, don't want to reassemble and get correct hose clamps. Make due.

15. Slip 3/4" hose clamps onto cut ends of heater hose. Insert Y connection into original heater hose, using the straight through ends. Align text on hose for correct orientation.

16. Route 30" hose from ZeroStart along top radiator hose, towards heater core connection.

Looking towards firewall, under intake hose:

(Yellow is original hose that was cut)

17. Test fit hose with Y connection. Rotate Y until it points at 30" hose. Tighten hose clamps on Y.

18. Slip 5/8" hose clamp on 30" heater hose. Install Y connector with original hose onto 30" hose.

19. Pour coolant into upper hose, with 30" hose pointing down to prime the ZeroStart. Pour slowly and hold it up and it will run down the Y into the pump, not out the other end.

20. Install ends of original hoses back in original positions, top at firewall and bottom at engine block outlet flange.

Looking down at Y connection, under intake hose:

20. Tighten all hose clamps.

21. Route power wire from ZeroStart to the front right corner of the bumper, and into the centre lower vent. Tye wrap in place.

22. Refill coolant. Added about 1L-1.5L total after filling the pump/hoses and spillage etc. Start car to pump coolant through system. Check for leaks.

23. Turn car off, plug in ZeroStart. Let run until it heats up and starts pumping. Was able to see through the Y connection for flow. There were a lot of bubbles, so it will need to be bled for correct operation. Re-check with car running, no bubbles in system, so car fine to run until ZeroStart can be bled.

24. Bleed ZeroStart by removing heater core return line. Plug in ZeroStart and let coolant pump until no bubbles come through. WARNING: Coolant will be HOT!

So thats about it. Step 11 and 14 are obviously somewhat comical problems I had. Try not to repeat them yourself.

PM me if you would like to buy a kit with the brackets/clips I made for $20. The clips require trimming a small notch in the battery cover if you are using it.
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: ZeroStart Install

Nice....I bought a zerostart last year....time to get off my butt and get it installed.
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

ditto. only for me it means it's time to call george.

Comment

Are the Y and the T already part of that cooling line or did you add them to have the heater parallel to that line? On the TDI installs you completely remove one hose and replace it with the heater and another hose. My concern would be if you are splitting the flow in two directions that the heater might not get enough flow to heat the coolant.
        Name: Brent
        His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
        Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
        Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I added both. It's not really in parallel with one line, although with all the junctions running around in there it might act that way.

There was coolant going down the small hose from the heater core to the throttle body and back to the reservoir bottle. I think there was air choking flow through the heater core, the return hose didn't get all that hot, but everything else did, including the oil cooler on the intake side of the pump, so it seemed to be making the rounds.
          Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by djstorm View Post
            ditto. only for me it means it's time to call george.
            Let me know what he charges for the install.....
            2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

nice DIY with the highlighted parts and everything.
              Dylan
              (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

did you use the 1000 watt unit? do they have a built in thermomter?

Comment

Originally posted by nordex View Post
                  did you use the 1000 watt unit? do they have a built in thermomter?
                  Yes I used the 1000W unit. I think the box said it has a thermostat for over heat protection (the CT website says it does).

Don't know if the other ones (750W and 1500W) are different in size. The 750W appeared to be identical, but I didn't measure it or anything.
                  Jeff

Comment

hats off to you i know techs that would never do that kind of precision work.
                    need a job it's block heater season....

Comment

very good DIY. quite thorough. only thing is i dont drive a 2.0 :P i have an 04 1.8t and im having a hard time finding how guys are installing them on the 1.8t's. i know my oil cooler is the same setup as yours but im just worried about the direction of the flow/thermostat etc. ive got no problems being able to splice in a heater obvously.. thats the easy part. i dont wanna do any damage tho if its not the same setup. any idea who's got a DIY on this?
                      2004.5 Jetta GLS 1.8L 20VT 5spd|\O8\\===VW===//8O/|

myspace.com

Comment

Working...
                      X