Stock Air box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock Air box

How is the stock air box on the 1.8Ts? Is there much restriction at higher rpms even with a good filter? Is there much benifit from a CAI? I had a CAI on my gti but im deciding if its even nessisary or not.
    sigpic

Re: Stock Air box

Everything I've ever read or heard is that the stock airbox is the best way to go...unless you want to hear your dv.
    Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
    2016 .:R (sold)
    2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
    2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

Which peice of the air box is the snorkle? I was reading on some vwvortex forums and the guys are saying if you remove the snorkle it sounds really nice? was curious about this.
      sigpic

Comment

I'd guess they're referring to the smaller plastic pipe that connects on the left (pass) side of the airbox. Mine has fallen off before and I didn't notice a huge sound difference.
        Geoff
        Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

I tested this last night if any one was curious. You need to un do the 2 screws in side the bottom of the intake box and remove the valve door with the spring. The remove the pipe on the outside passanger side.
          Low-mid range rpms give the engine a deeper and more agressive tone. A bit more turbo noise too.
          sigpic

Comment

i had a CAI, stock box, and stock box and snorkel..

all work well. the stock airbox is really well designed tho.. but the sound of a CAI is fun fun.. but does get annoying after a while if you like it or not

Comment

Im trying to think if i took out the right thing or not? I removed that little spring loaded valve thing in the bottom of the air box so now its just a big hole? Will this let in to much hot air?

**edit**

Yeah i just realised i remove the back up air valve instead of the snorkel. I switch it around tonight. Alot of guys say its good to take out the snorkel to clean it anyways becuase alot of crap get stuck in the snow screen.
              Last edited by The_Stig; 08-29-2007, 11:28 AM.
              sigpic

Comment

Pretty amazing how long the snorkel can be when you unwind it!
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Wow no kidden! i just took off the pipe that goes from the box to the start of the snorkel behind the head light. Its good now.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X