a/c stinks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c stinks!

Does anyone know a fix to get my a/c to stop smelling like a hockey bag? Every time I crank the a/c, it smells like this for the first little while. I've heard about possible mildew on the condenser? What about the filter? Is there an easy way to change the a/c filter? Thanks guys.
    '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
    --DUBS--

Re: a/c stinks!

The A/C filter is the cabin filter, when you change that spray some antibactrial lysol type stray or just lift the flap under the glove box and spray away. It also helps to turn the A/C off and let the fan run a couple minutes before you park the car.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

turning off a/c to blow out condensation from element before you shut the car down is key. its more a prevention then a cure though. mine was horrible, but i think it's improving a little now that i've been shutting it down a few minutes early. I might try the anti bacterial spray though, that sounds like a good idea. I guess if you go to VW, they will mask off your car and run your a/c on recirculate while they release a chemical in to the intake.
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

http://autotechrepair.suite101.com/a...ve_a_c_systems
        Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
        You dig sucka?!

Comment

My air is like a smely sock, that makes me sick. When i turn teh A/C on it goes away. Is this the same thing.
          12 VW Golf
          09 BMW 135i
          07 MKV GTI
          03 Jetta GLI
          01 Jetta GLS
          90 Jetta GL

Comment

if you want to leave your car with me,i'am having a free demo from BG.
            there looking for a stinky car.
            Paul
            228-7078
            or anybody else.

Comment

Originally posted by VWSM View Post
              if you want to leave your car with me,i'am having a free demo from BG.
              there looking for a stinky car.
              Paul
              228-7078
              or anybody else.
              First come first served! BG stuff is DEADLY!!!!
              Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
              You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall View Post
                The A/C filter is the cabin filter, when you change that spray some antibactrial lysol type stray or just lift the flap under the glove box and spray away. It also helps to turn the A/C off and let the fan run a couple minutes before you park the car.
                Is this 'flap under the glove box' actually inside the car, or do you mean the one under the hood, but technically behind the glove box? - possibly a really dumb question, but here goes...
                '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                --DUBS--

Comment

I believe it is in the car behind the glove box, search the vortex there should be a picture there.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

If your around edmonton I've got an Ozone machine that will kill anything organic in the car, ac mold, dog smell, your dog, etc. About 2 hours with the ac on recirvulate should kill it good.
                    The world has but three sports, Bullfighting, Mountain Climbing, and Motor Racing. All the rest are merely games - Ernest Hemingway.

Comment

Hes not kidding,

We sue Ozone machines when we need to remove the smell from sewage treatment plants, its super affective.
                      Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

No no no, just do what my buddy did in his old 84 rado. He just poured about a 1/4 of a litre of maple syrup down his vents. Haha the thing smelt fantastic whenever the air was on

O and the cabin filter is accessed from the engine bay, but it is located just behind the glove box. Its a really easy swap though.
                        When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by RedMile04 View Post
                          No no no, just do what my buddy did in his old 84 rado. He just poured about a 1/4 of a litre of maple syrup down his vents. Haha the thing smelt fantastic whenever the air was on

O and the cabin filter is accessed from the engine bay, but it is located just behind the glove box. Its a really easy swap though.

Yeah, I know about that filter. It IS easy to change, but I took that one out not long ago, and it's not wet, smelly, or moldy. Maybe I'll make a road trip one of these days and just keep the a/c on recirculate the whole way...

'02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
                          --DUBS--

Comment

ozone machine kills your interior, breaks up all your seats and rubbber
                            wait a year and you will see what happens.
                            look up ozone.

Comment

Working...
                            X