Coil Packs Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coil Packs Again

This is the third time I've had a coil pack blow, but this is the first time it is out of warranty. Is VW still going to cover replacement of the coils or am I SOL?
    Bryce

2002 Jetta 1.8T Baltic Green Tiptronic
    APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Re: Coil Packs Again

Sick of the Bremi coils breaking down on you? Convert to Hitachi coils from a kit by ECS Tuning.

Read below.

This ECS Stage I Ignition solution converts your troublesome & hard to get Bremi brand coil packs (oem part # 06B 905 115L or R) with the more durable Hitachi brand coil pack. Over the years the Hitachi has shown to be much more durable than the Bremi's along with being able to be secured to the valve cover with 2 allen headed bolts. This ECS stage I ignition solution kit includes the following:

* Four OEM "E" version Hitachi coil packs
    * 8 stainless securing screws & washers
    * OEM wiring harness heat sheild
    * 4 NGK spark plugs (PFR6Q)
    * O-rings for sealing new coil packs to cylinder head

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...productID=7538
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Comment

http://www.034motorsport.com/product...roducts_id=476
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Hold off for a couple of weeks. I've got word that a coilpack-replacement system is in the very last stages of testing before being released to the market. It's supposed to retail for around $300 and if it works like i've been told it works, you will NEVER have to worry about replacing another coilpack ever again.
        Chris

Comment

If this is what I think it is, lots of people have already done it. Do you mean replacing the 4 coil packs with plug wires, plates, adaptors and something like an MSD ignition or tower coil packs?

Image from someone's standalone install, but you get the idea
          Last edited by Kor; 08-27-2007, 10:52 AM.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Coils are 25 bucks at the dealer. Buy a replacement and a spare for the trunk, and call it a day.
            Geoff
            Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
              Coils are 25 bucks at the dealer. Buy a replacement and a spare for the trunk, and call it a day.

$25 at a dealer? They quoted me $45 for one, wtf?
              Bryce

APR 91, Carbonio CAI, Samco TIH, 2.5" Brullen Turbo-back, ABD Lower Intercooler Pipe, Forge 007 DV

Comment

Well, maybe mid 30s after tax and discount - mine have been ok since I bought a pair 2+ years ago.

Didn't we get letters about extended warranties on the coils though? I will take a peek in my file.
                Geoff
                Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
                  If this is what I think it is, lots of people have already done it. Do you mean replacing the 4 coil packs with plug wires, plates, adaptors and something like an MSD ignition or tower coil packs?

I don't know much for details, but I'm pretty sure it's something along those lines.
                  Chris

Comment

Originally posted by N'Syncro View Post
                    I don't know much for details, but I'm pretty sure it's something along those lines.
                    If you are interested in this approach for changing out ignition on the 1.8T, you should contact 034 EFI, they can sell you the parts to do so, a proven solution. I think nearly all the people who use their standalone make this ignition swap.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Well I went to NL and got a coil for $45, I probably got ripped off a little but I need my car to run so whatever. I placed an order with 034 so hopefully that gets here soon and I won't have to worry about those sh*ty coils again.
                      Bryce

Comment

Working...
                      X