Brake Pads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Pads

My handy little light has informed me my brake pads are worn... Has anyone attempted a change on their own? I don't think it'd be very hard, but I have heard rumours of needing special tools... Any advice? If not easy, and ideas where a good place to get it done for a decent $$$

Thanks!

Re: Brake Pads

i'm not sure what you drive, mk4? the sensor is on the front right, inside pad, if i remember correctly. Nothing special needed for front brakes really. the tool you are thinking of is for the rear brakes. on the rear ones you have to turn the caliper piston as you push it back in to reset the auto-adjust for the e-brake, but the front ones you can just push straight back in with a clamp of some sort. It's really not to difficult. If the rears need replacing too, you can buy this cheap cube tool thing that you put on a ratchet that works ok to press in the rear caliper pistons while turning them, or you can rent the good tool from partsource.
    Last edited by stefan; 07-31-2007, 09:39 PM.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Yeah I have a MK4. Right on, with shop rates what they are, and me being a student... I wasn't really looking forward to paying someone some exorbitant price for something that might not be that hard to do. Thanks for the info! Do I need Vag com to reset the fault code on the brake pad?

Comment

No you do not need a vag com to reset the code as it just turns off once you "plug" the new brakes in.

The brakes should be easy to change, i dont think you will have problems with them.
        Originally posted by RedMile
        Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
        Originally posted by Smarty39
        haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

I would make sure you are competent enough and have the right tools before you start the job. If you don't have a Bentley manual I suggest you get one. Do as much ready as you can before you start as you most know brakes are kinda important on a car and not something you should tackle if you have no idea what you are doing. You should also resurface or replace the rotor when you do the pads.
          Name: Brent
          His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
          Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
          Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Most Always Replace Discs At The Smae Time, Do Not Turn Rotors!
            1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
            2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

I dont know. Personally when it comes to brakes, I always have a proffesional deal with it. I do not want any problems when it comes to stopping.

Comment

not a great thing to learn on your own.

Comment

I agree don't machine the rotors but if they are in good shape no need to replace them IMO.
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

I thought if you didn't at least machine the rotors that any imperfections in the surface would not mate properly with the pads therefor loosing stopping power?
                    Name: Brent
                    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

yes, brakes are important.. if you really don't know where to start, at least get some help. On the other hand, brakes are one of the easier things on a car to replace, and there isn't much opportunity for screw-ups (unless you are canadian tire, and forget to tighten the bolts holding the caliper to the car...).
                      Stefan
                      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I dunno how they have to mate, just slam on the brakes a few times and they will grind the pads to fit?

I don't really know what I am talking about but brakes are not rocket science?
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

VW rotors are disposable, they go when the pads go. Brembo blanks are like 20 or 30 bucks each, just get it all. Tons of threads about this on vortex, not worth the risk for the few bucks you save. Especially if they crack.

I am looking at the Hawk HPS pads, low dust good stop, work good cold.

Although considering I'm over 100K and the brakes still look like they're 40%+ I might just have to stick with OEM.
                          Geoff
                          Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

i went with the pbr metalmasters. noticeable brake fade improvement
                            Stefan
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Ya if your brakes look anything like this when its all said and done I suggest getting someone else to do them.

http://www.eurodrivers.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=11220

Comment

Working...
                              X