Grrrr My Exhaust Rattles.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grrrr My Exhaust Rattles.

So i just got my car lowered, and now my exhaust has started to hit and rattles somewhere.
    its not on the heat sheild, ive already bent it all out and its still happening

if anyone has any ideas that would be great
    and btw is a ghl 2.5 turboback exhuast

thanks

Re: Grrrr My Exhaust Rattles.

I just had one put in as well last week. It seams that it just needs to settle, then crank her dwn again.

Its also possible is hitting the sub frame in the rear.

i had the same problems.
    12 VW Golf
    09 BMW 135i
    07 MKV GTI
    03 Jetta GLI
    01 Jetta GLS
    90 Jetta GL

Comment

yea, it did settle a bit, but expect rattles at certain rpm that wont go away

as for the subframe, that could be a idea, ill take a look tomorrow, but its more up-front that the noise is. but the rear could definalty make a difference

Comment

mine used to hit the sub frame, it sounded like the noise was coming from jsut under the gear knob like the pipe was hitting the floor of the car. got it rehung at fishcreek minute muffler and its been great since.
        Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Check where the exhaust goes over the rear trailing arm. That's the issue I have had a couple times.

Comment

I'd be willing to bet that its hitting the rear suspension beam. You see, VW decided to make every aftermarket tuner's life a living hell when they designed the car by routing the exhaust OVER the rear axle. Once you combine putting a bigger pipe in there with running the car at a lower ride height, the clearence that was already tight becomes minimal at best. If you can put the car up in the air you can probably tweak the exhaust hangers to give you a little extra clearence, but you'll still probably get a bit of a rattle if you have weight in the back.
            Mike - 2011 A4 S-Line

Comment

ahh, ehmmm, ill correct my last post it wasnt the sub frame it was indeed the rear suspension beam. Showing a little terminology ignorance there
              Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by gtaylor View Post
                So i just got my car lowered, and now my exhaust has started to hit and rattles somewhere.
                its not on the heat sheild, ive already bent it all out and its still happening

if anyone has any ideas that would be great
                and btw is a ghl 2.5 turboback exhuast

thanks
                GHL ... your problems have only started, wait till the welds start breaking!

Comment

Originally posted by Dubsport Inc View Post
                  would warrenty not cover that...

Comment

Originally posted by Dubsport Inc View Post
                    Was gonna say the same thing richard!

You really are never gonna find a perfect fitting aftermarket exhaust, unless you get one custom made. Its just the way it goes.

Also it really isnt that hard to get a 3" to fit over the rear beam in VW's it just takes some good work with the hanger mounting.

Comment

Just Had 2.0t Turbo Back Installed And Had 2 Rattling Issues:
                      1) Bend The Aluminium Heat Shield At The Front Of The Car Near The Down Pipe.
                      2) Most Likely Is Rattling On The Rear Subframe
                      1) 2007 Candy white MKV GTI. DSG, votex kit, 19" Privat netz, tinted tails, smoked side markers & mirror signals, 20% tint, TT stubby, APR sport 3" turbo back exhaust, ABD stage 2 cold air intake. GONE.
                      2) 1993 Green Corrado VR6. ABD intake. FK Silverline coils, Zimmerman cross drilled & slotted rotors. GONE.

Comment

Some advice for people that get exhaust installed. Fill your trunk/ hatch with a couple rims and tires, get some reverse rake going. If you leave with no rattles, you'll never have any haha. Worked with the rabbit!
                        Jay

Comment

i bent my heat sheild and spun around the brackets about a weeek ago.

nothing since

Comment

I put APR exhaust on yesterday. Car feels fast but i have a bit of a rattle in the back. I also feel a weird vibration in the peddles when i take off from a light. not sure what that one is...
                            TDI SportWagen

Comment

Working...
                            X