230km on a TDI too many to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 230km on a TDI too many to buy?

Someone is selling a Mk4 Jetta with 230,000+ on the clock, says they already replaced glow plugs, altenator, timing belt.

Is this gonna be a reliable car? Need something I don't have to think about repairing...
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: 230km on a TDI too many to buy?

My wifes has 288 something and it runs great, how much they asking? I do wonder why they replaced the alternator and I would find out when they replaced the timing belt as it could be due for another soon.
    Name: Brent
    His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
    Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
    Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I think I could get it for 5k

yes I said 5k
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Do you have a link to the for sale ad?
        2008 Audi RS4
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

i would have got it for 5 if I hadn't just got this MK3.... My TDI is at 175k, been driven fairly hard, and not showing any significant signs of wear. Might be near to timing belt time, like brent said, unless they did it late last time round. Dealers sometimes put a sticker under the hood with when it was last changed (at least northland does)
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

What year is it??? I have a MK4 golf with the 2.0 L it's a 99.5 and has 240,000 km thing has caused me no problems had it since 2002 and bought it with 25,000 km put the water pump a battery and gas and oil.
            buy it

Comment

My 2000 TDI had 200k when I sold it, still ran great. You could check the service records, if it's been repaired lots, it going to keep needing the repairs. Overall I would say that most TDI's are good for at least 300k.

Comment

There are MK4 TDI's in the states that have hit 300k Miles before any major problems. I think 5K would be a steal depending on the year and condition.
                Name: Brent
                His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

it has had some repairs over its life...

i think i'll hold out for a better mk3
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Well would you might passing the contacts along?

Comment

it's still a virgin if it was'nt ridden hard and put away wet.
                      500,000 km's is what the rings are rated.
                      working on volvo's now 600,000 kms is not uncommon,but these owners
                      service them every 3-4 thousand k.

Comment

I have 330,000 kms on my 99.5 Golf tdi and it runs great. Last owner put wrong oil in a few times, so turbo eventually gave up, but thats why VNT 17's are out there. I am selling the car to my brother and looking for a good, but high millage jetta tdi mk4 to replace it eventually. Millage don't scare me with tdi's, just neglect from the owners.
                        Benjamin
                        Ben
                        2016 Ram 3500 Laramie
                        2000 Jetta TDi, Dead and removing parts
                        2005 Passat Wagon TDi, 310,000 km's and counting, BSM delete done....Trans died going to replace
                        Her's
                        2016 Toyota Highlander XLE Pearl White

Comment

I have 230kms on a 2002 TDI and the thing runs better then when I first got it. The dealer claims "the car is finally broken in". If you look after them diesels go forever. They are meant to work and not be babied. If the maintainence is up to date and it passes a VW inspection then buy it.

If not I have a 2001 TDI automatic with 150kms grey with leather full options sitting in my driveway. I just preped it so I can sell it. Not sure what I will ask but the dealer here offered me $16,999 for it last week. They have none left on the lot and are wanting me to supply them. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                          X