lighting legalities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lighting legalities

Whats the legal limit on how much light you needs?

Can you shave everything everything front and side? Or do you need more than that if you do like lighting on mirrors or something?
    1997 VW Golf K2 - Up in Flames
    1998 VW Jetta Wolfsberg - Sold
    2010 VW Golf Sportsline - Wheel Gap is Gross

Re: lighting legalities

I have no idea what you are talking about. LOL. Sorry but you need to be a little more detailed. Anyone else? Reply and be a little more specific on what you are asking.

Comment

ok well obviously I still want headlights

can I shave the front fogs/turns and side markers and still have it be legal (assuming I get different headlight that had turns in them)
      1997 VW Golf K2 - Up in Flames
      1998 VW Jetta Wolfsberg - Sold
      2010 VW Golf Sportsline - Wheel Gap is Gross

Comment

Okay...

I know from my years growing up in a court room (Grandfather is a judge) that when he did traffic suite days that he would drop the book on ANYONE that didnt maintain a vehicle and was part of an accident. He was very strict in inforcing proper lighting, turn signals both front and rear including brake lights. He still to this day wont tolerate any off color lighting. I mean brake lights MUST be red. Turn signals must be amber. If it is mentioned in a ticket or law suite that one person has altered these they will walk out with fines. I am pretty sure that headlights of quality are a must. I remember him discussing to a defendant that it is his responsibility to have both headlights fully operational at ALL times. If one burns out you must replace it and it should be a priority for that day, not a week down the line. That is what this suite was about. An accident and the plaintiff claimed she was confused cause she couldnt tell at night how he approached her. She clipped him due to not being able to judge his cars location on the road due to one headlight. OH...she won!

Comment

Alberta Traffic safety act - vehicle equipment regulations:
          http://www.qp.gov.ab.ca/documents/Re...sbn=0779717090

Fines:
          http://www.infratrans.gov.ab.ca/INFT...plquickref.pdf
          Jeff
          Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
          Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by GoNzO View Post
            Okay...
            Turn signals must be amber.
            clear turns are ok on the front, and red turns are ok on the rear.

As long as you have turns, and they are visible from 250m in daylight, you should be able to modify, and fogs aren't a requirement. Altering is fine, as long as the alterations meet the DOT requirements. As far as I know, any light coverings on any light is also a no no, but i think this is not so much the covering as the issue of once there is tint, or some decorative cover on the light, it probably wont meet the 250m rule. Unless you have blue lights, or something really odd, you probably wont get ticketed. but if you do get in trouble in an accident, and some lighting was not DOT approved, then like Gonzo said, you could be screwed i suppose.
            Last edited by stefan; 07-26-2007, 08:13 AM.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

just don't do stupid sh!t like tint the heck out of your tails or put those stupid black covers on your headlights, and make sure your front signals are amber when lit.
              Dylan
              (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

Working...
              X