VW Quality good... Hit and Runs bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW Quality good... Hit and Runs bad

I think we can all appreciate the quality of our VW's and their construction. They are built so substantial and rugged compared to a lot of other cars in the same class and price range and I was reminded of just how good it is after being in an accident this weekend.

On my way home from my girlfriend's house on Sat afternoon, I was run off the road by some douchebag (who I'm sure was drunk). My GTI ended up hitting the curb on a center divider at about 50-55mph, launching into the air and into the lanes of opposing traffic, before finally coming to a stop off-road in a playground. Fortunately, there were no kids or people in the path of the car when it happened and no one was hurt. UNfortunately, the POS that ran me off the road quickly stopped, surveyed the damage, and then fled the scene! Bystanders (and myself) were quick to call 911 and notify LAPD.

Anyways, the point of this post is that after taking a closer look at the car, I was amazed at the lack of serious damage. A broken rim (which was still holding air!) was pretty much the worst of it. After inspecting the suspension, there was nothing that was obviously broken, and the car was even tracking straight afterwards I'm going to be bringing her in to have it inspected much closer, but I firmly believe many other cars in the same situation would have faired worse. I love VW!

Pics of the trauma....

Derick

Re: VW Quality good... Hit and Runs bad

JESUS christ man.. friggin americans man i tell you!

nice fast cap at least

Comment

how the heck is that holding air?
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

ya thats crazy that, that thing is stilling holding air.

Also good to hear that no one got hurt. Could have been worst!
        James
        mk4 wagon

Comment

Yeah. the fact that it's holding air still is pretty remarkable. The LAPD officer that arrived on the scene thought the car had run-flats haha. I actually drove the car with the broken rim about a mile back to my place (with the police cruiser following) before putting on the spare.

Also came out of it with a sore shoulder, so the officer said that the guy who ran me off the road automatically commited a felony since there was an injury... I hope karma comes back to him in the worst way possible.
          Derick

Comment

holy crap, thats crazy
            sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
            His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
            Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
            Past:
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
            B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
            2004 .:R32 BMP
            2001.5 Noggy blue s4
            2000 VW GTI 1.8T
            1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

Yep, these cars really are pretty safe. That is one reason they weigh so much.

Sucks about your new car, Derick. Hopefully the dillweed that ran you off the road gets whats coming to him.
              2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

Crappy luck Derick but glad that nothing to serious happened, maybe time for some new wheels now???
                Blair
                Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Wow that is amazing that you didn't take out more on that divider. I will add you name to the list of people that swear by the build quality of a VW after getting into an accident. I know for one that I am a believer.
                  Name: Brent
                  His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                  Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                  Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

Good excuse for some new wheels

Comment

Working...
                    X