Oil Change Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Change Problem

Since I have owned my 2002 GTI 1.8t, I have always taken the car to the dealer for oil regular changes. Today i decided to do it myself(possible mistake?)
    After draining the old oil & changing the filter, I proceeded to put the filter on and pour the new oil in. After pouring in approx. 3 liters, I checked the dipstick and was surprised to see that the oil level was double the maximum level. I ran the car for approx. 2 minutes, let it sit for about 15 mins, checked again....and there was no difference in the level! What could be the possible problem?

Re: Oil Change Problem

Just trying to help and go over everything. Did you wipe the dipstick off and then re-insert all the way and then look at the level?
    06 Subaru STi
    Volvo tech

Comment

take off filter while drain plug was still off?
      Stefan
      -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
      -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
      -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
      -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Yeah, I have wiped, checked & rechecked the dipstick. I am trying to remember, but i believe that I reinstalled the drain plug (so that I wouldn't forget) & then removed the old filter. Would this have made any difference?

Comment

...figured out the problem. Turns out I drained the tranny fluid instead of the engine oil. The fluid looked & smelled like engine oil & I'm used to tranny fluid being red so I never even thought twice about it. Thanks.

Comment

ha... yeah, its just gear oil in a standard.. usually red in an auto. get a good oil for tranny.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

this is vortex quality
              Team Highschool
              Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

oh wow i laughed...but i guess now that you know how to change your own oil no need to pay the dealer $80 to do it for u.
                Originally posted by RedMile
                Don't bug the receiver though, he's far to busy to help you out.
                Originally posted by Smarty39
                haha, thanks man...I take it you're the receiver lol?

Comment

we all gotta start somewhere. at least it wasn't an expensive mistake
                  Team Highschool
                  Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Gotta chuckle but thank god you didnt think it was all ok and go off for a long run!

well at least you learned how to change the oil and the tranny fluid.
                    Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Wow it is not even remotely the same type of plug for the tranny and engine oil. Hopefully it was a cheap lesson for you to learn though.
                      Name: Brent
                      His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
                      Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
                      Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

I am all for people trying to do their own work...but, you may want to re-think this one lol. I thought it would be next to impossible pull the wrong plug, as Stonewall said, they are completely different.
                        Kyle
                        2000 Audi S4

Comment

And it's not too hard to figure out where/what the oil pan is...
                          Mehh everyone does stupid **** (except Graeme he's perfect)
                          I'd like to make a statment!
                          2012 Q5
                          2011 A5

Comment

Working...
                          X