Phaeton Coupe Cabrio Test Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phaeton Coupe Cabrio Test Car

With the decision made to develop an all new generation Phaeton, Volkswagen is also expanding the Phaeton line-up. A convertible with folding hard-top will go on the market and compete directly against the Mercedes SL-Class.

Looks like history repeating itself as VW takes another stab at the premium market (i.e. Phaeton I vs. S-Class). The Phaeton received rave reviews for its build quality, technology and value. It was/is a superb car. However, it seemed the Phaeton failed to connect with consumers, especially in the US where the VW brand image was less than perfect. It was a difficult sales pitch selling an upmarket vehicle for the first time in a brand which was plagued with quality issues and a difficult dealer network. Hopefully, VW has learned from their mistakes.

Rumors about the next generation Phaeton are going in two different directions. Some sources say a shared platform with Porsche's Panamera will be utilized, while others say it will be based on the new Audi platform that will be used for the new A6 and A8.

The Phaeton hasn’t been the big success that VW expected, but with the next generation and its expansion by adding a Phaeton Coupe Convertible as well as a rumored 4-door Coupe (i.e. Mercedes CLS) to the model range, the car maker is hoping for more success. With the Mercedes SL-Class selling very well, VW is aiming to tap into this market and persuade some of those buyers to make the Phaeton line-up finally profitable.

The pictures are revealing a very first test mule for the new CC model based on a shorter and wider Audi A8 body. When the testers noticed the photographer, they went into high alert. Then the prototype disappeared immediately inside a truck, and the engineers did their best to stop the photographer from taking anymore pictures. So this is the only set of photos existing at this time.

Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Re: Phaeton Coupe Cabrio Test Car

those are gonna be some biiiiiggg doors

Comment

pretty slick. i still hate the idea of the phaeton though. just buy a freakin audi.

Comment

I don't understand why they just don't call it an Audi Phaeton and be done with it!?
        Chris

Comment

i agree, it's a pretty cool car, but the marketing just doesn't make sense. doing this, and the City's at the same time.. you can't have every market.
          Last edited by stefan; 07-19-2007, 09:37 AM.
          Stefan
          -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
          -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
          -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Well perhaps having this Cabrio would bring a little more attention to the car, and they sell lots in Europe so I think it is still a good car for them on most levels.
            Blair
            Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by stefan View Post
              i agree, it's a pretty cool car, but the marketing just doesn't make sense. doing this, and the City's at the same time.. you can't have every market.
              Much of the marketing that VW is doing doesnt seem to be taken to well...
              I know theyre doing fantastic but I dont understand why the price of some of their vehicles sky rocketed (Mainly the GTI and the Passat).
              For that price you may as well save up the extra couple grand and buy an audi or something
              -Drew
              2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
              1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

well it basically is an A7 with a dub badge lol

Comment

Working...
                X