Where to get Bike Rack for MkV Jetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get Bike Rack for MkV Jetta

Friend wants to buy a bike rack for his Mk5 Jetta this weekend...

Wants a good price and one that doesnt wreck his car or paint.

Ideas?
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Re: Where to get Bike Rack for MkV Jetta

They'll all damage his paint. I'd suggest he go to racks unlimited to see if he can get some of the parts used (load bars should be the same). He'll have to fork out full price for the fit kit, and probably the feet unless the mk V can use the same ones as a MK IV, in which case he should be able to get a 400 footpack used. If he's really worried about the paint, he should put on 4 small rectangles of 3m where the feet contact the body. The only other option is to remove the rack 1-2 times per month for a good wash and re-wax under the feet. I never had the energy to take it off that much, and have 4 rectangular skuffed sections on the roof. I suspect that a power polish would get nearly all of the scratches out.

Lastly, depending on what kind of bike trays he needs, I have a couple that I'm not using and could let go for a descent price. If he doesn't want mine I'm sure racks unlimited has lots of used stuff for him. Make sure he calls both locations as their stock of used stuff will be different.
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Comment

The 3M that comes with the racks from the dealer protects the paint, I'm sure Rack unlimited would have a similar option.

Comment

i cut some 3m pieces, rounded the corners and made them look pretty. if you have the time, wet the car a bit with water and a tiny bit of soap. put on the 3m and squeege out the water from under. it goes on clearer looking with no bubbles this way. Thats how the guy that does it for northland does it. Down side is that is takes a few days for the residual water to evaporate and for the 3m to get its optimal stickyness if you do it this way... if you use the soapy water method... dont stick the rack on right away ( i made this mistake round 1). it WILL move or wrinkle the 3m. Mine are nearly invisible (round 2). It turned out pretty good. Worst case, the 3m looks like crap, and you take it off again when you take the rack off.
        Last edited by stefan; 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM.
        Stefan
        -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
        -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

3m is a good idea but where to buy a rack cheaper or better?
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Yakima or Thule racks are the best. Buy from: orsracksdirect.com
            best pricing i could find

Comment

Working...
            X