Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mk3 Jetta Info/Advice.....

Hey guys

Im looking into a 97 Jetta Vr6 with 128km on it. I was just curious if any one could give me a little more info on this car; common problems, what are they like to own, maitance, gas milage. Any info or adivce would be great. Thanks boys.
    sigpic

Re: mk3 Jetta Info/Advice.....

Well from personal experience, I drove my VR6 from 83k up to about 113k with 0 mechanical problems. I usually got between 400 and 450km per tank, but if you drive like a "normal" person you could easily do better.

If you've driven a mk3 vr you'll know what they're like to own - a lot of fun
    I'd like to make a statment!
    2012 Q5
    2011 A5

Comment

I have driven a mk3 gti vr but not a mk3 jetta vr. They drive much the same?
      sigpic

Comment

Yep saaaame ****
        2012 Q5
        2011 A5

Comment

I had a 1998 Jetta GLX and put about 30,000kms on it (from 65-95K) and had no issues with it except needing a battery. Great car lots of fun, some good pep, great mod potential and not too bad economy wise.
          Blair
          Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I love my VR6 Jetta (97), the only thing I have had to do is my clutch, breaks and I had a nasty problem with my car alarm as the wires had broken in my door jams over time (over 30,000KM). Like Mitch said I get about 400 - 450KM per tank, the car is a lot of fun to drive. When I was doing my research before I bought my car the things that seemed to be common problems in the car was the window regulator (I have never had a problem) and cruise control (my cruise control does not work).
            2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
            My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

Thanks for the help so far!
              sigpic

Comment

What we're trying to say is BUY IT
                2012 Q5
                2011 A5

Comment

I've owned 4 VR6 powered VW's in the past 10 years. I have had Zero mechanical issues with any of them (engine wise). I've put 25000km's on my current VR6 which is also supercharged. No issues!!! With an NA Vr6 the mileage can be quite good however once you add forced induction you can pretty much throw that out the window! If the car has been properly maintained, you will have great luck with it. Conversly, stay away from a Mk3 VR6 that wasn't maintained!! Good luck!
                  Derek
                  Derek

-2008 Avus Silver RS4-Fat ass II
                  -1996 C4S-Fat Ass
                  -2007 FJ Cruiser-6 speed

Comment

Thanks. I will be going to see it asap
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Russell View Post
                      When I was doing my research before I bought my car the things that seemed to be common problems in the car was the window regulator (I have never had a problem) and cruise control (my cruise control does not work).
                      99.98% of cruise controls on mk3s dont work . Other than that they are reliable. Too bad mine is not a vr...
                      Plowing the streets of north side

Comment

coil pack arcing/wires breaking in the pillars/secondary coolant pump leaks
                        cruise control but easy to fix just go buy good solder.
                        other than that,they are an awesome car.

REALLY REALLY FUN TO DRIVE.

Last edited by VWSM; 05-24-2007, 06:15 AM.

Comment

pic doesnt work.

some common problems with the VR:
                          leaky/cracked water pipe
                          cracked tstat housing
                          leaking oil cooler o-rings
                          cracked coilpack
                          secondary air injection system
                          cruise control module
                          air conditioning module
                          timing chains (depending on the mileage this HAS to be done) its a big fix and close to $2000 if dealer does it. 160,000km's is the magic mark
                          clutch
                          tranny flushes or lack of lead to grinding gears
                          check what oil they are using
                          check state of oilpan for cracks

if you need someone to go with you to check out the car i am sure someone on here could go with you that owns one. It is really good to be able to drive a VR before and after you drive the one you are looking to buy. You can be overwhelmed by the power and stuff if its your first time and you dont know what to look for. I went back a second time with a buddy that had one and he told me it was ****....and it turned out to be when i took it for inspection.
                          Team Highschool
                          Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

oh yeah just to add, just because some of those things listed above may be occuring its not a reason to run for the hills and not consider it. You can use it as leverage to get the price down and just fix it yourself or people can give you a hand. I was able to get $4500 off my car cause the struts were all blown and timing chains were making noise....tho they always make noise haha and i wanted to put coilovers in anyway right away.
                            Team Highschool
                            Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL View Post
                              pic doesnt work.

timing chains (depending on the mileage this HAS to be done) its a big fix and close to $2000 if dealer does it. 160,000km's is the magic mark
                              clutch
                              Its funny you say that, I did have to do my clutch and it was right around the 160,000km's (the high side). I did my timing chains as well at TuneDub.
                              2001.5 Audi S4

Originally posted by James
                              My engine may be a solid 4 liters smaller than yours, but i have a HUGE penis

Comment

Working...
                              X