Unusual noises.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual noises.

So there is this squeal emanating from under the hood of my GTI 1.8t. After some nosing around and removal of the CAI i've found that it is coming from directly down the intake pipe.

The squeal sounds like a lower pitch dogwhistle and generally occurs at idle or low throttle angles. It will modulate somewhat with throttle adjustment but once enough throttle is applied it goes away. It also doesn't seem to modulate at the same rate as the turbo does when it is spooling up.

Over the last while it had become quite loud, with the CAI off and the MAF screen expose it is only a little quieter than the horn.

When I shut the car off the squeal fades; it's definately air flow related.

Naturally when I had the car in pre-warranty end, twice, VW said they never heard it.

I've replaced the N75 with no change. I can't imagine it is the DV that is making the noise. I can only think of two other things it may be: PCV or EGR. Not having a good manual on the car I don't know how those systems work on this engine.

Any ideas?

Re: Unusual noises.

Turbo could be whats squealing?

Hard to say for sure, can you get someone else to rev the engine while you try to find the source? I wonder if a stethoscope might help you localize it?

Leaks might whistle, is it more of a whistle or a squeal?

DV can for sure leak and make noises.

Keep trying to unplug things. The EGR system can just be disconnected from the intake where it connects pre-turbo, it won't kill your engine and see if that helps?
    Last edited by Kor; 05-18-2007, 12:27 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

It sounds more like a sqeal, I thought it was a belt for a while but pulling the intake and hearing it just roar out from the bare MAF outlet says its comin from in there.

I'm going to try ripping more bits off and seeing what happens.

Ugh, if it's the turbo. Then I have no reason not to put in the t0304 and manifold that has been sitting in my garage for the last 14 months. I was trying to avoid another project car.

Comment

You could just get another stock turbo from George at Tunedub if yours is going wonky. I think he has a few used ones that are in good shape.
        KR
        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

That could be the best idea. I was going to check him out for the t0304 install anyway.

Comment

Working...
          X