TDI vs. 2.0 & 1.8T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TDI vs. 2.0 & 1.8T

Hey guys I am thinking about maybe picking up an mk4 Golf TDI. What are your opinions?

Re: TDI vs. 2.0 & 1.8T

Not as fun as a 1.8T?
    sigpic

Comment

Plenty of fun is you chip it... and 1000 km on a tank. I'd say not too shabby a choice.
      Road Runner
      Le Mans Blue BMW 135i- M sport Package

Comment

personally i would go 1.8t
        sigpic

<<<Ben>>>

Present:
        His: 2008 Cayenne Turbo
        Hers: 2012 Ibis White Q5
        Past:
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Black
        B7 A4 Avant 6MT Silver
        2004 .:R32 BMP
        2001.5 Noggy blue s4
        2000 VW GTI 1.8T
        1997 VW Jetta VR6

Comment

trust me, GTI 1.8T is my #1 choice. But unfortunately cannot justify the cost at the moment. Found a good deal on an mk4 TDI so I figured I could make the sacrifice. How about reliability/quality/maintenance compared to the other engine types?
          Last edited by timdog; 04-11-2007, 11:41 AM.

Comment

if you chip a TDI, they are pretty fun to drive. I'd like to get another. There is a Golf in Autotrader for a decent price at the moment, but it needs a timing belt change. On the up side, he has had the intake cleaned out recently, which was a bit of an issue with the TDIs around 80-90,000km.
            Last edited by stefan; 04-11-2007, 12:01 PM.
            Stefan
            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

I think a timing belt change is about $1000 but on the high note you won't have to do it again for over 100K. The intake problem can be lessened it not completely removed as a problem with a software tweak or some other hardware mods. Personally I love both my TDI's and would not hesitate in buying another.
              Name: Brent
              His: '04 TDI Golf Mods: None If it's smoken it ain't broken
              Family: '15 Jetta Sportwagon
              Fun car: '92 Blue Karmann Crabby Cabby Mods: Coils, front and rear swaybars, LED interior lights and some other old things.

Comment

thanks guys.
                what are some noteable maintenance differences? i heard one guy say that every time you get an oil change to make sure that you also have the water separator dumped or something like that.
                what are the kilometer milestones for getting maintenance done?

Comment

the fuel filter has a drain on it to drain water. I have never had water in my fuel filter, so I don't bother. If there is any in there, it goes when you change the fuel filter. Oil changes are 16,000km if you use the spec oil, so thats a bonus.
                  Stefan
                  -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                  -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                  -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                  -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Arnt desel cars a pain in the winter? I heard its easy for the glow plugs to freeze up? And if you run out of gas you can just put more in, the system has to be primed first?
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes, in the 50s.....

They run fine in the winter and the fuel injection pumps self prime. Of course running out of fuel is pretty hard to do when you can pull 1300 km + on a tank.

Comment

yeah i'm not worried about running out of gas. I'm not a complete moron. I usually don't even let the Gas light come on.
                        Can you plug a TDI in? As in, does it have some sort of block heater or something similar?
                        I've heard newer diesel's aren't near as bad as old ones in the winter.
                        So - no real differences with maintenance?

Comment

Originally posted by timdog View Post
                          I've heard newer diesel's aren't near as bad as old ones in the winter.
                          So - no real differences with maintenance?
                          Normally around here they come with an oil pan heater. You can install a coolant heater as well if you like having heat right away.

However, they will still start fine at ANY temperature. We are not in the dark ages.

Plugging a car in is to improve the engine life and is no different for a diesel or a gasoline engine.

There is less maintenance as I understand it because oil changes are 16000 instead of 8000 km intervals. Timing belt intervals are also longer AFAIK.

Comment

AFAIK?

thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by timdog View Post
                              AFAIK?
                              http://www.gaarde.org/acronyms/

Comment

Working...
                              X