Remote Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Range

Figured the original battery was going dead in my remote because I had to get it right next to the door to activate the locks. Got a new battery today and now I have to be within about 2 feet of the door for it to work. I seem to recall this happening in my other remote, when I changed the battery that the range dropped so I stopped using it. Just got a regular Panasonic 2032 battery (or whatever the proper one is) from Battery World.

Is there a different kind I should get? Or has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks
    Jeff
    Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Re: Remote Range

search vortex, there is a way to extend the antenna on the control unit to get better range.
    Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
    You dig sucka?!

Comment

Check the MK4 DIY/FAQ thread on vortex, there is a DIY on how to extend your remote range very easily using a wire.

Comment

This is actually one of my pet peeves with Euro cars haha!!

My Volvo one only works from max 12 feet away, and I know a lot of VW's are no better (I still remember trying to set peoples panic alarms at Gull lake). For work I rent domestics (SUV's mostly) and those things will work from a block away through glass!! I don't understand why they don't have better transmitters. Unless of course GM and D/C are just that much better at engineering key fobs!
        Jay

Comment

hold it on your chin.. i can get mine to work from at least 100 yards away doing it like that..

Comment

^that works too haha, it works every freakin time.

Comment

^^^ And you look super cool too!

Personally I am not really sure why you need to open your trunk or unlock your car from so far away
              Blair
              Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

It's just nice for those times when you ask yourself, "Did I lock the car?". It would be nice to look back and watch the lights flash instead of wandering all the way back to the car. But, maybe i'm the only one that does that?
                Jay

Comment

The disadvantage to long range is you can accidently bump the remote and have it unlock your doors or something equally stupid and not know. Most "weird" quirks with german cars have some engineering reason, like the giant wheel to lean your seat back instead of the lever.

Khyron
                  Geoff
                  Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
                    The disadvantage to long range is you can accidently bump the remote and have it unlock your doors or something equally stupid and not know. Most "weird" quirks with german cars have some engineering reason, like the giant wheel to lean your seat back instead of the lever.

Khyron
                    Yes, I suppose that is one nice thing is after i've taken about 5 steps from the car I know that I can safely put the key in my pocket and not have to worry, haha.
                    Jay

Comment

I guess it is time for us to move up to cars with smart keys so when we walk away it just locks itself!
                      Blair
                      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo View Post
                        I guess it is time for us to move up to cars with smart keys so when we walk away it just locks itself!
                        Yea, that would be nice, if only the C30 had it, heh. Actually I think the 07 S40/V50 might have it (in the US) so you never know! I love the C30, so hot.
                        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                          It's just nice for those times when you ask yourself, "Did I lock the car?". It would be nice to look back and watch the lights flash instead of wandering all the way back to the car. But, maybe i'm the only one that does that?
                          That's the exact reason I want the range I had before, I can check it from inside my house. It was fine before I changed the batteries, that's why I asked.
                          Jeff
                          Current: 2017 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line
                          Previous: 2007 Audi A4 2.0T Quattro S-Line, 2001 VW Jetta

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan View Post
                            hold it on your chin.. i can get mine to work from at least 100 yards away doing it like that..
                            That's a good way of microwaving your head too.
                            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                            You dig sucka?!

Comment

Working...
                            X