ECM Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECM Problem

Hey...I got this fun Golf that has been showing the 'check engine' light intermittently for a while now. It's been checked three times with the fault always coming back as the ECM. I'm looking for advice on how to deal with this because it was checked at a dealership in Edmonton and a smaller shop here in Calgary. VW told me that the ECM is covered for 8 years/130K but that a VW dealership/authorised mechanic has to do it.

I'm just wondering if I should play dumb when I eventually get to the dealership or be straight up about where I've taken it already. I haven't had to go to the dealerships here in Calgary so I don't know if they get pissy when an unauthorized mechanic does the diagnostic (even though it was also checked at Norden in Ed). Thanks!!!

Re: ECM Problem

go the dealership,you'll have to pay for diagnosis,but the part is free.

Comment

Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
      You dig sucka?!

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

For those who care the dealership said it was actually the long term fuel trim additive(?), and the part was under warranty so I didn't have to pay anything. He said the ECM was fine and that the codes were read wrong by the other shop. I also got that brake light switch replaced under the recall.

Anyways, something to keep in mind for other Golf owners who don't have extended warranty...

Comment

Working...
          X