Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch?

Hey guys,
    Haven't been on here in quite a while...busy busy. Anyway, lately I've been noticing that when I start up the Jet and still have the clutch depressed, it sounds great. But, when I release the clutch and it's just idling, there's a faint "rattling" or "pebbles in a plastic bucket" sound. Could this be the thrown-in bearing? If so, what is it worth to replace at the stealership? Thanks!
    '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
    --DUBS--

Re: Clutch?

Is this a stock clutch?

Does the noise come from the pedal as you let it out? A common problem is a clicking/squeeking

Sometimes its the pedal mechanism, you can clean and grease it. Or it could be this:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2894653
    Last edited by Kor; 01-26-2007, 07:13 PM.
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Does it happen in neutral, when in gear or both? Also does it happen when the engine isn't running?

Sounds like a clutch release bearing to me, but after reading that link from Kor that sounds like a pretty nasty design flaw. If your car is still under warrenty then I guess you know where its going.
      06 Subaru STi
      Volvo tech

Comment

Nah, it's coming from under the hood. There's one sound when in neutral, and then there's a little squeak from under the hood when I release on starting out at a green light...unless I rev up to about 1800-2000 when letting out the clutch...
        '02 Jetta 1.8Tuuurbo
        --DUBS--

Comment

VW issued a extension on the cat convertor mine was ratteling like crazy could be that you kind of hear it coming up from the shifter.
          Just a thought.

Comment

Working...
          X