Me mother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Me mother

is in need of a new wip. She's sold her current car ('03 bmw 330xi) to a friend (for a stupid price..23k...if it was a 5spd I would have been all over that)

The criteria is for an AWD wagon so naturally I reccomended the passat and the a4. My dad went and testdrove a 2.0t audi wagon and said he needs a v6 cause he doesnt want a car "that sounds like a sewing machine" (Keep in mind he drives a porsche and a beefed up mustang so anything 4cyl sounds like garbage to him)

Got prices on both: The passat wagon loaded up with what they want was about 54k...the audi was closer to 61.

My preference going into this was the audi...until i discovered that the audi's are still using the 3.2 and the new passat's are the 280hp 3.6. I still find the audi looks nicer but when you line the 2 up on paper and factor in the price difference, plus the fact that audi is saying there will be a wait to get a wagon in the color they want...it's really hard to not go for the passat.

Just wanted some opnions from you guys before I go test drive a 3.2 audi and a 3.6 dub with the pops.
    REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
    -james

Re: Me mother

There is also Volvo for wagons
    KR
    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
      There is also Volvo for wagons
      Prior to the bmw my mom was driving a volvo.. an '01s70 turbo i think?...it had its fair share of issues so i doubt volvo is in the mix
      -james

Comment

I think since the models have been out for a while there are fewer issues with the Volvos. And I know you can get some wicked deals on them. A V70R would be pretty sweet. 300hp and AWD.
        2008 Audi RS4
        2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          I think since the models have been out for a while there are fewer issues with the Volvos. And I know you can get some wicked deals on them. A V70R would be pretty sweet. 300hp and AWD.
          Ya, I do agree that the volvo R's are badass...the other issue I should have mentioned was the size of the car.

Wouldnt the V70 be more comparable to an A6 or a BMW5 series wagon? That's bigger than what they want (or can do - the new place they are building out in canmore has a strange garage layout, its fully underground in order to accomidate more cars but that means it will be tight in there)
          -james

Comment

Yeah, it is a bit of a fatass... that is a downside.
            2008 Audi RS4
            2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Rumors of a MK5 Jetta Wagon on the horizon.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Rumors of a MK5 Jetta Wagon on the horizon.
                Getting / ordering something this week! Plus I seriously doubt the jetta wagon will come with a 3.6..it'll be 2.5 and 2.0t, neither of which would satisfy the old man
                -james

Comment

Well I agree the Passat looks great on paper, especially with more power and less coin, but of course it is not an Audi. The Passat is slightly larger than the A4 so you can save a little extra space with the Avant, which might be a plus. The 3.2 is still a great engine, but I have never driven a 3.6 to compare.

There is not a lot in the 6cylinder smaller euro wagon so I would say those are very good choices.
                  Blair
                  Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Test drive a Cayenne, sure its not a wagon but I hear it feels car-like.

Just thinking outside the box.
                    Last edited by Kor; 01-23-2007, 01:16 PM.
                    KR
                    Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Or

KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i just threw up my lunch, what the hell is that?
                        Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Or

HAHAHA WTF is that monstrosity?

Present
                          2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                          2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                          2003 VW Jetta GLI
                          1992 VW Jetta GL
                          1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Looks like some kind of Carrera hatch?...with TechArt wheels and GT exhaust...looks f#@king brutal!

As for the question at hand...I say go for the A4 Avant 3.2 S-line (even though you'd be pushing 65k to get one, which at that point you're only 10k from an S)...the Passat 3.6 4mo is sweet too though!
                            Last edited by Smarty39; 01-23-2007, 02:21 PM.
                            Kyle
                            2000 Audi S4

Comment

Originally posted by Smarty39 View Post
                              Looks like some kind of Carrera hatch?...with TechArt wheels and GT exhaust...looks f#@king brutal!

As for the question at hand...I say go for the A4 Avant 3.2 S-line (even though you'd be pushing 65k to get one, which at that point you're only 10k from an S)...the Passat 3.6 4mo is sweet too though!
                              Ya, I just spoke with my pops over lunch. He was saying the Audi is probably gonna be the route they go as my mom likes the look the best (and who could blame her?)

I think the one I had priced for 61 had the s-line package on it? Either way, thats gotta happen
                              -james

Comment

Working...
                              X