Phatnoise HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phatnoise HELP!

I'm wondering if someone has any advice for me.

I bought a 20 gig Phatnoise last weekend. Put it in the car and it worked great. I install the software, erase the songs that were already on the DMS when I got it and start making discs to load up the card with my own music.

Everything's looking fine until I put it in my car and... nothing. I can play music from the DMS on my computer but when I put it in the car I just get "NO CD" Not cool!

When I run the DMS Doctor I'm getting a message that says that The DMS faild the system files test. The result:

FAIL: Could not find system file G:\!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC"- (with one of these < in front of the !DOCTYPE. If I write it in , it messes up and can't be seen in the post.)

All other tests pass.

I searched as much as I could online but didn't really find much. Phathack.com has alot of info but I couldn't find anything on the problem I was having. So I tried upgrading to the newer version od Music Manager. Still the same deal. So I went a step farther and tried to download the Media manager software. It took all my information and nothing. No download. I checked my visa account and nothing was taken out for the purchase.

So I called the number and only get an answering maching saying that they're having some problems and to e-mail support@phatnoise.com... Nothing yet. I don't expect anything anytime soon.

Phathack.com has downloads for Head unit files, Player files, Daemon files and system files. I downloaded them all but there was no instruction on what to do with it and I'm not comfortable taking a chance and messing it up beyond repair. Maybe if I knew more about programming this thing. I did browse through them all though and the file that DMS doctor says is missing is not in any of them.

I'm hoping that someone out there has some suggestions for me. This is really getting to me now.

Other info:
    -Phatnoise 20 gig 2.0 USB
    -Music Manager 2.30
    -Windows XP with service pack 2
    -2004 VW GTI with Premium VI (Monsoon) head unit

Thanks,

Scott
    Last edited by Turkey; 01-18-2007, 08:31 PM. Reason: Messed up the roman numerals
    Sanity In Numbers

Re: Phatnoise HELP!

How did you erase the old songs?.....with the music manager software or just used Windows Explorer to delete the songs. It seems like you may have mistakenly deleted some of the required system files that the Phatbox needs. There is also a required partition structure.....There is lots of info online about recreating the required partitions and file structures to get it working again.
    2004 VW Jetta TDI Sport

Comment

get rid of the phat box,if you want you can have mine...
      i took it out complete garbage.
      nothing but problems....started at 800.00$ bought mine at 450.00
      and at the end they were 150.00.
      come and take mine it just pisses me off looking at it.
      i think they said the craddle is hooped.

Comment

Not sure if this will help:

http://www.phatnoise.com/kb/index.aspx
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Reformat the drive and reinstall the music...I had a problem similar to this. Counter to the opinion above I've loved mine. The things I don't like are the software - why must I manually rebuild every disc to be a playlist? I might be missing something.

Mine has functioned without issue once I reformatted the drive. Thre is also a startup sequence that you need to follow the first time which is probably in Billip's link and your instructions.
          Last edited by kuhli; 01-19-2007, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I erased the songs using the "wipe DMS" in Music Manager. No system files were deleted.

That link had some good stuff.. too bad you only get half the story there. Clicking on any heading just reloads the page. I did find this interesting though.
            "IMPORTANT NOTE: The DMS Doctor is not applicable to the GM Mobile Media System or USB devices."

gtx, I may take you up on the offer.

Kuhli, When you say to reformat the drive, do you mean to do it from Music Manager or use windows to wipe all system files and reload them?

Fustrating...

Scott
            Sanity In Numbers

Comment

$800 really? wow
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Windows wise, reformat the whole deal, the software will then again want to format. The point is, start fresh and go from there. I don't remember the exact procedure but if you wipe it you're on the right track...

Comment

Only wipe the data partition for now. If you format the system partition you will have to manually replace the firmware with the files on phathack. Ask me how I know

I am so angry with the manufacturers of the phatbox right now. They sell this product, and it seems like every time I want to do anything with their software, their site is down! It is definately some of the worst money I have ever spent on my car. Even when it works it still freezes like every 4-5 days and has to be unplugged, their software sucks, etc, etc, etc.
                  I can hardly wait for those guys over at phathack to get a new firmware together. I would really like to see something functional.

Comment

Phatbox is a device that was created in HELL!!!!!!
                    all the cursing and swearing i did.THE DEVILS ADVOCATE.

Comment

Well I haven't had nearly as many problems as some of you have had. I will agree that the software is definitely the weakest link in this package though. Maybe it's because I'm an IT guy that I was able to figure it out fairly well... I can see how it's a pain in the @ss for some.
                      billip
                      2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Is there anything on the data partition that I need to keep?
                        Sanity In Numbers

Comment

Phatnoise rawks, you just have to spend the a good hour figuring it out the first time the right time.

Comment

Any luck getting it working?

Comment

Still no luck. I kinda left it for a while cause it was pissing me off too much. I was wasting way too much time trying to figure out what was going on. I tried reseting the phatnoise and reinstalling the firmware from the phathack site. Still nothing. It's been way too cold to be going out and messing with it. Maybe in the next few days though I'll get the chance. I'll keep this forum posted.

BTW: I just got an e-mail from phatnoise with a link for a download of the full version PPM 3.92. There's also a file there called VW firmeware that I'm going to try out as well.
                              Sanity In Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X