mY oil lite came on..1.8litre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mY oil lite came on..1.8litre

So my oil lite came on and i brought it to the dealership.
    oil level was fine but they said it could be oil sludging.
    not their problem,it's a maintanence issue and to get the engine flushed.

My question is,why would the Dealership not flush the the engine under warranty...But yet if it fails it's covered.I think V.W would sooner pay 10.00$
    than 7000.00$
    My 2 cents.

Re: mY oil lite came on..1.8litre

if it really is a maintenance issue, then you not fixing it would be neglect, and therefore no warranty.
    Stefan
    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Are you running synthetic? The sludging issue for VW is only with the longitudinal 1.8Ts, like the passat and A4. And it's not the case if you're using synthetic.

Also, show proof of oil changes every 6 months, and it's not a maint issue.

Khyron
      Last edited by Khyron; 01-12-2007, 09:18 AM.
      Geoff
      Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

agreed. as long as the oil meets spec and the changes are on time, it should be good. whats the change interval on a 1.8 (in km)? does it require synth. for warrenty?
        Last edited by stefan; 01-12-2007, 09:32 AM.
        Stefan
        -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
        -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

every 16,000km on syn for the 1.8t which is garbage.. every 8k i used to do mine.. i think depending on the service schedule some are 16k some are 8k but i can't remember.. either way.. 16k is gh3y

Comment

16k works if you drive uber slow i think. my tdi starts consuming oil after about 12k... so i usually change it between 10 and 12k. Its like fuel mileage ratings. They are based on no speeding or over revving or mountain driving or...etc. I expect oil change intervals are the same.
            Stefan
            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Yeah I have a 1.8T
              I feel like a dork, I change mine every 5K
              The 1.8T's are picky engines, if you dont treat them right it will cost you some money!!
              -Drew
              2001 "BORA" GLS 1.8T
              1990 Lincoln Continental

Comment

Bah oil does not need to be changed every 5k that is crazy talk

Also I think you're experiencing a technical problem called "dealership assholeness" which is a common problem on the 1.8T.

I think just out of politeness if you take your car in with the oil light on and your oil level is fine, they should do a flush or replace sensors or do whatever is required, then thank you for buying a VW on the way out and give you a free coffee.
                KR
                Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Oil degrades over time - no matter how you drive after a year it's pretty much shot.

So I change mine every 6 months, regardless of mileage. And while synth is not required, it's strongly recommended by factory. You stand a better chance of cooking dino oil in the turbo when you turn off the car. At least get a synth blend. And OEM filter! Never FRAM!

Khyron
                  Geoff

Comment

fram has clean up their s**t somewhat since the last big lawsuit.. but i also avoid them. i think i will shy away from a 6 month change though, cause 25000 km is a lot for any oil.
                    Stefan
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

You drive 50K a year? Holy ****.. Mine is just hitting 5 years old and just cracked 93K. Hope you do your own changes.

Btw - Auto Value has 5/40 Penzoil platinum (Euro), it's about 8 bucks a bottle. Castrol syntec 5/40 is around 10.

Khyron
                      Geoff

Comment

what rating/grade of synth oil is recommended, (srry didnt get an owners manual with the car n its my first turbo, dont wanna cook it!)
                        Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Originally posted by Khyron View Post
                          You drive 50K a year? Holy ****.. Mine is just hitting 5 years old and just cracked 93K. Hope you do your own changes.

Btw - Auto Value has 5/40 Penzoil platinum (Euro), it's about 8 bucks a bottle. Castrol syntec 5/40 is around 10.

Khyron

i did the first year i got it, after that it wasn't so bad. i think in 2 years and 8 months i put on about 110000.
                          The oil from the dealer is actually very well priced. on my last change the castrol at least, was a better price then autovalue by a few dollars a litre.
                          I can't find my invoice for my last bunch of oil, but its worth calling.
                          Stefan
                          -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Originally posted by Kordain View Post
                            what rating/grade of synth oil is recommended, (srry didnt get an owners manual with the car n its my first turbo, dont wanna cook it!)
                            5/40 is best. You CAN use 5/30 if you are low and stuck at a gas station, but it doesn't offer the same heat protection. Some are using 0/40, but that's REALLY thin in the warmer months and I'm not confident in it yet. Same with the new 5/50 - it's not like I'd drain it out if the dealer put it in, but given a choice I'll stick with factory recommended 5/40.

Castrol Syntec 5/40, made specifically for VW dealers has started showing up on store shelves in the last few years like CT and Auto Value. Penzoil Plat 5/40 has the same certs. Mobil 1 used to have a 5/40 which they got rid of in favor for 0/40. Mobil 1 Delvac 5/40 has a bunch of diesel certs - would probably be fine but I'm not sure.

Can get Redline from tuner shops but I believe it's a lot more money.

Khyron
                            Geoff

Comment

Thanks.
                              Im gonna give it a full service before it gets on the road coz theres little history came with it.
                              Last edited by Kordain; 01-13-2007, 12:53 PM.
                              Eric..

Nobody knows everything, but everybody knows something you don't!

Comment

Working...
                              X