60/60 to low in Calgary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60/60 to low in Calgary?

Im still trying to decide exactly what to do for suspension come spring time and Ive come across a 60/60 kit.
    http://www.rapidparts.com/rpeProdDetail.ASPx?a=1419

I have two questions?
    As a rule of thumb when lowering a car, is it important at all to match the strut and spring from the same manufacture?

And more importantly, my real question: Is a 60/60 kit to low for a daily driving year round in Calgary?

Thanks guys,
    Tim
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Re: 60/60 to low in Calgary?

you dont have to ru the same brand strut as spring..

but it is a good idea to run a shorter strut/sport strut instead of the stock ones

and no 60/60 is not to low for calgary driving!

Comment

Oh no I would never plan to run my stock struts. Anyone else agree/ disagree with a 60/60 kit being a good drop all year around?
      Last edited by RedMile04; 01-05-2007, 04:00 PM.

Comment

IMO I think you'll be too low in the winter, and getting close to the limit for summer on less than ideal roads. It will definitely be an issue on speed bumps in parking lots, and pulling in and out of driveways in a lot of locations. I guess that's something to consider if this is your daily driver.
        Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
        hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
        sigpic

Comment

No such thing as too low, just a matter of if you're ok with driving low
          I'd like to make a statment!
          2012 Q5
          2011 A5

Comment

The lower you make your car, the more useless it becomes, but the cooler it looks.

If its your daily driver I would think twice about dropping it too low, unless you really dont care about your paint and bumpers.

As soon as you lower it with nice sport suspension, you will instantly notice exactly how crappy our calgary roads are, as you feel every crack in the road. Beleive me, Calgary has horrible horrible roads. You will quickly find out which parking lots you can/cannot enter because there are some you will never get into if you go that low, and the first time you try a new one that you cant get into, by the time you realize it, its too late you have already scraped the sh#t outta your bumper and paint.

Comment

As said, as long as you don't mind driving careful so you can look pimp, then its fine. Don't think you will be driving normally 'cause you won't be. Its not too low though, you will be ok if you just watch the parking lots and speed bumps etc.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

[QUOTE=DubSport;106813]

As soon as you lower it with nice sport suspension, you will instantly notice exactly how crappy our calgary roads are, as you feel every crack in the road. Beleive me, Calgary has horrible horrible roads. [QUOTE]

Ever driven in any other canadian city? our roads are outstanding.

The only problem you should encounter with a 60/60 is driving right after heavy snow falls (it rarely even snows in calgary, so this really shouldn't be a problem). With a stock valence I doubt you would scrape if you paid attention to the road and go over inclines etc angled.

Me and my brother used to drive daily in Saskatoon with the plastic skidplate thing a mere 8cm off the ground, never had a problem (until it snows of course, then I try to minimize driving because the bloody city doesn't plow any of the roads that are part of my usual driving routes).

Comment

For the most part, I actually don't drive my Gti right after snow fall or if it is in fact snowing, I just drive my old windstar for a few days. Im only running stock painted valences as well, so for the most part it sounds as though it should be alright. Please feel free to voice any more opinions though!!

Comment

omg 8cm?!?!

My oilpan was about an inch from the ground, lip is about the same.
                    It's not hard to do
                    I'd like to make a statment!
                    2012 Q5
                    2011 A5

Comment

Originally posted by Mitcheh View Post
                      omg 8cm?!?!

My oilpan was about an inch from the ground, lip is about the same.
                      It's not hard to do
                      ya but im not on coils so I cant raise and lower the car according to the season, so I am stuck with a year round moderate drop. If I was on coils I would love to go another inch lower and then 4x4stylzzz for the winter

Comment

Bump one more time as spring is getting close and I need to get on this suspension soon! Im thinking of picking up these Weitec 60/60 springs and some Blisten struts this week. Does this sounds like a good set up? Haha sorry to sound like such a noob, but I have never bought suspension and I want to do it right the first time!

Comment

hmm, well im thinking about get some suspenion pretty soon too, but i think im going for coilovers for sure tho, As for springs, ya for sure good idea to match them up with shrotened strut combo. It depends on the "bling" factor too, im guessing you want a budget type thing?(not saying you are cheap), what happens if you dont like the 60/60 drop and its too rough? coilovers are always good just because the "tune-a-billity" is there.

Just my .02 cents, but what you are looking at looks to be a good combo.Blisten makes good stuff.

GL with your search.
                          -James
                          James
                          mk4 wagon

Comment

Nah I think I've ruled out coilovers as most people in Calgary seem to agree that with our winters coilovers seem to seize up and are not worth it. At this point its not a matter of coils vs springs, Im mostly just asking if these are a good spring set and if I should go with this height. Yes, no? Haha somebody say yes and I'll just get these already!

Comment

Originally posted by RedMile04 View Post
                              For the most part, I actually don't drive my Gti right after snow fall or if it is in fact snowing, I just drive my old windstar for a few days. Im only running stock painted valences as well, so for the most part it sounds as though it should be alright. Please feel free to voice any more opinions though!!
                              Well if you you dont drive in the winter tho.. lol
                              James
                              mk4 wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X