No announcement yet.

Track Racing....How do I go about this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track Racing....How do I go about this?

I am very interested in track racing my car this summer in Calgary (because Edmonton has no track) and I was wondering if anyone can provide me with any info on how to get started. Im looking to do some time attack hopefully.

Do I require some kind of membership to attend the track?
    Is their some kind of license I must get from the track?
    Is their required mods (as stated by the track) that I need? (ie roll cage)

As you can see, I know nothing about this. Please do not suggest autocross.
    Tint sucks

Re: Track Racing....How do I go about this?

I suggest signing up for autocross. SCCA I believe runs a good circuit through Western Canada and the Pacific NW. This would be my suggestion for the best place to get a start. It will teach you the basic fundamentals of racing and how to drive properly.
    I have spoken with a few racers who have been in it a long time and they have all said its the best place to get a start. On a full road course track people don't pay attention to the basic fundamentals of racing and dont know how to be truely fast. On an autocross course all the little things matter. Because it is low speed it makes small mistakes much more exaggerated on the tight courses. Pick a wrong line and you will be hooped for the next set of gates.

Autocross is also much cheaper to get a start in and can be done in any car that can pass safety tech. Road track racing is for people with deep pockets. It's a hell of a lot easier on your car and the only thing you are going to be going through is tires. A day at the track will use up a set of brakes, rubber and is EXTREMELY hard on every aspect of your drivetrain and the entire car. I think I cooked apart a pair of Toyo T1S's in a day at the track and my brakes had to be done as well. Its hard on the car.

I don't know much about Calgary's race scene but I do know there are some people pretty into the sport here. We have one of western Canada's top guys here and with tracks in edmonton, red deer, and calgary there is a lot of time that can be had on the track.
    Team Highschool
    Twin Turbo Turbo Smurf Avant

www.ctsturbo.com - the home for all your turbo needs. PM me for details.

Comment

I've been looking into this as well. I asked Doug ("R28" here on the boards) about some performance driving schools and he recommends the BMW Driving School.

http://www.sabmwclub.com/

There are two dates posted for sessions in May: Sat May 26th and Sun May 27th.

Might be a good way to start off.
      2008 Audi RS4
      2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Originally posted by RONDAL
        I suggest signing up for autocross. SCCA I believe runs a good circuit through Western Canada and the Pacific NW. This would be my suggestion for the best place to get a start. It will teach you the basic fundamentals of racing and how to drive properly.
        I have spoken with a few racers who have been in it a long time and they have all said its the best place to get a start. On a full road course track people don't pay attention to the basic fundamentals of racing and dont know how to be truely fast. On an autocross course all the little things matter. Because it is low speed it makes small mistakes much more exaggerated on the tight courses. Pick a wrong line and you will be hooped for the next set of gates.

Autocross is also much cheaper to get a start in and can be done in any car that can pass safety tech. Road track racing is for people with deep pockets. It's a hell of a lot easier on your car and the only thing you are going to be going through is tires. A day at the track will use up a set of brakes, rubber and is EXTREMELY hard on every aspect of your drivetrain and the entire car. I think I cooked apart a pair of Toyo T1S's in a day at the track and my brakes had to be done as well. Its hard on the car.

I don't know much about Calgary's race scene but I do know there are some people pretty into the sport here. We have one of western Canada's top guys here and with tracks in edmonton, red deer, and calgary there is a lot of time that can be had on the track.
        Not so much.

No SCCA here, road racing is not for guys with deep pockets and we have Solo I & II here in Calgary.

I am just one the way out the door (late) to a Winter autocross at Race City, when I get back I will do up a nice post on how to get into racing in Calgary if Simon does not beat me to it.
        Matt

93 Laser RS AWD
        03 Sierra 1500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Conedoctor
          Not so much.

No SCCA here, road racing is not for guys with deep pockets and we have Solo I & II here in Calgary.

I am just one the way out the door (late) to a Winter autocross at Race City, when I get back I will do up a nice post on how to get into racing in Calgary if Simon does not beat me to it.
          That would be greatly appreciated
          Tint sucks

Comment

we need (or maybe I just dont know about it) a slushcup type series like they have out in Vancouver. I used to do that before coming out here to school. Basically autocross in the winter in any conditions that happen to be occuring on the day. Rain, snow, slush.....it makes for great fun and is just good seat time racing.

One of my teammates on the Formula SAE team here at UofC coaches at the BMW school so if you need someone to talk to about it let me know and i can put you in contact with him.

I would love to get back into racing. I started getting into autocross about 3 years ago before i moved out here, was racing in the purple people eater 1992 mazda protege and then we built up the 2L 8v rabbit to race but i ended up moving before we could really use it. Got some swaybars for the VR to cut down on the understeer so it should make it a little better on the tight tracks...definetly pushes hard through the turns with out them.
            Team Highschool

Comment

http://cscc.ab.ca

For time attack you probably want to go solo 1 with the CSCC you must take the solo 1 course before you sign up and there are a limited number of spots.

If you want out on the track with other cars for real racing you will have to go WCMA and there are more rules and regulations and you have to get your racing license at another course put on at the begining of each season. They also let amatures out on during the lunch break for track time by themselves.

http://www.wcma.ca/
              2020 Toyota Corolla Hatch (At least its a Manual!)
              2001 Audi S4 (Trunk still smells like Ryan?)
              2001 Audi A4 - RIP
              2004 Mygale SJ04 - Racecar
              2013 Toyota Sienna - Baby Transporter
              2001.5 Audi S4 -SOLD
              1986 Reynard SF86 -SOLD
              2003 Jetta GLI - Garbage bin

Comment

Thanks for the link. I think im interested in the solosprint events.

is anyone currently doing this sort of racing?
                Tint sucks

Comment

In Calgary we have a few different events with the CSCC (Calgary Sports Car Club), this is the basic very basic gist of it.

AutoX (winter Solo II) RCMP parking lot

Car needs to be safe and a snell 2000 or better helmut to race.

Course is set up with cones and gates, 3 classes of run what you brung no rules. FWD, RWD and AWD.

You get a choice or snow, mud, gravel or all of the above, today we had some nice gravel with ice under it

Solo I RCMP road course

Again safe car, snell 2000 or better helmut and a 4 point harness.

Race against the clock on the full course, other cars on track but spaced you are not racing them. Runs are done is sets of runs, warm up hot laps and cool down.

You will not kill a set of tires or brakes and if you do then your doing something wrong, yes you will wear your tires and brakes but not out.

Solo II RCMP oval or road course or any lot we can find

Again safe car, snell 2000 or better helmut

Race against the clock on a course set up with cones and gates, lots of class rules but none to race just a safe car.

I have had the same pads in the front for 3 years now and lots of events and lapping days, the tires will be a 2 years now and I should get 1/2 year out of them still.

Road Race

More rules and I don't know them all but if you want to get into it pm me and I can get you to the right guy, it ends up being cheaper if you factor in the track time over Solo I.
                  Last edited by Conedoctor; 12-17-2006, 07:24 PM.
                  Matt

93 Laser RS AWD
                  03 Sierra 1500HD

Comment

racing and speeding are dangerous, please obey all posted speed limits.
                    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Solosprint/solo I is what im interested in
                      Tint sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Duby T
                        Please do not suggest autocross.
                        First Reply:
                        Originally posted by RONDAL
                        I suggest autocross.
                        haha that made me laugh
                        Last edited by RedMile04; 12-17-2006, 08:39 PM.
                        When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Duby T
                          Solosprint/solo I is what im interested in
                          You will need to do the Solo I school but other than that just a helmut and a harness, make sure your brake fluid is fresh and cooling system is in good shape.

A second set of wheels and r compound tires is nice but not needed, higher air pressure is a must so get a tank or compresser.

Brake pad upgrade is also a good idea because if you have Napa specials in there you may overheat them fast, and get a good pad not a parts store brand. Hawk, Porterfield, Ebc etc.. and if you have cross drilled rotors get rid of them because they don't help, eat pads and crack when used for actual braking.

If you can get more - camber do it.
                          Last edited by Conedoctor; 12-17-2006, 09:58 PM.
                          Matt

93 Laser RS AWD
                          03 Sierra 1500HD

Comment

i think the mazda might have to make a showing. i'm liking the sounds of this. i have been looking (i'll admit not that hard) for some winter weekend racing to get into again. i just barely started to get a taste before i moved and then wasn't able to do it anymore and hadn't heard of anything out here.

Conedoctor: in my original post i wrote SCCA but meant to type CSCC haha. its not the first time i have done it. Where abouts do you guys do this? I would love to come out in the new year if you have some events going on.

UBC used to hold their slushseries at Boundary Bay in Vancouver and that place is notorious for chewing apart tires. Possibly one of the best surfaces for grip you will find. It is pretty hard on the tires tho.

What kinds of speeds does the RCMP road course see? The straight at mission raceways roadcourse back home you could see 160+ depending on the car and driver and the heavy braking zone at the end ate through pads, especially if you did a few consecutive laps and kept heat in the brakes.

dammit now you guys got me all excited.
                            Team Highschool

Comment

Winter AutoX is in the Race City gravel parking lot, I will post the next date.

The road course speed will depend on your car and last corner before the front, the A6 did 180, my Laser does 200 (more if I was not a afraid) I did 220 in a Trans-AM and a friend does 250ish in his RX-7 so it depends on the car.
                              Matt

93 Laser RS AWD
                              03 Sierra 1500HD

Comment

Working...
                              X