IT Courses?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IT Courses?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows of some IT courses that could be taken evenings or weekends. Maybe to work towards a diploma. I've looked at SAIT a bit but they have a ton of related courses and I imagine some have more weight to them then others. Or if you know different Niche areas that I might be interested in that would be cool. I'm just looking to expand on my skills and this area really interests me but i'm a noob.

It would be great to hear from people that went this route and now work in their related field.

Thanks.

Edit: I should note that i'm particularly interested (or should I say curious) in Networking (small to medium) and communications protocols.
    Last edited by Tuna; 11-28-2006, 12:01 PM.
    Jay

Re: IT Courses?

sait offers some cisco night courses and i think a beginner basic networking too.. i've taken a ton of them the last few years at sait..

Comment

You can actually get a course-based MSc. from the UofC if you have an undergraduate degree (in anything) and want to take night courses. Obviously not for everyone but if you do already have a degree and want to take night courses, coming out of it with a Master's degree from a University is pretty sweet. Plus the courses are really good.

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Grads/programMscSE.php

You need to meet these admission requirements though :(

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Grads/admissionMini.php

I know one person who got their degree this way and another who has been working towards it.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Kor View Post
        You can actually get a course-based MSc. from the UofC if you have an undergraduate degree (in anything) and want to take night courses. Obviously not for everyone but if you do already have a degree and want to take night courses, coming out of it with a Master's degree from a University is pretty sweet. Plus the courses are really good.

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Grads/programMscSE.php

You need to meet these admission requirements though :(

http://www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/Grads/admissionMini.php

I know one person who got their degree this way and another who has been working towards it.
        Bringing this back from the dead. Ryan, did you do the Cisco courses? Would it help get into an It related field??

Kris, those links don't work anymore (not surprising this thread is old) but I don't have a degree, just a diploma :(
        Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
          Bringing this back from the dead. Ryan, did you do the Cisco courses? Would it help get into an It related field??

Kris, those links don't work anymore (not surprising this thread is old) but I don't have a degree, just a diploma :(
          The admission requirements for the MSc are pretty strict, I think. You can probably search the uofc site, I don't have any newer links though.

I think certifications are a good easier way to get into an IT field or a new area. Often you just study for them out of one or two books, then take a set of tests, and you're done.
          KR
          Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

i am in IT. depending what you want to end up doing, i would agree with Kor and go the certification route. if you are going towards networking/server tech stuff then get some cisco certs and maybe some sort of server type certification. if you are going the desktop support route then obviously go Msc and things of the like. however try to imagine where you see yourself down the road, if you think you might want to be in management or in the business side of IT then make sure you take a couple courses on those aspects as well, they will help greatly in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by timdog View Post
              if you are going the desktop support route then obviously go Msc and things of the like.
              Note: We are talking about different MSc's I think, or maybe you mean MCSE.
              KR
              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

yes i meant mcse

Comment

Working...
                X