Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Name that wagon!

Hey everyone...

The little bambino has got the wife and I looking for a wagon. The requirements are pretty loose at this point, but it must be AWD. I'm willing to consider other vehicles, and want to see if you guys think there are any others I should be considering. On the list:

Audi A4 Avant 2.0T with S-line package
    Passat 4-motion (why can't they make this one in a diesel?)
    Volvo V70
    Volvo XC70
    BMW 328xi
    Subaru Legacy

I like the Saab's but they don't seem to offer a model in AWD any more.

Jeff
    Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
    hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
    sigpic

Re: Name that wagon!

A4

Comment

I like the Passat 3.6 Wagons, a fair bit of coin but not too many on your list with 280hp
      Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
        I like the Passat 3.6 Wagons, a fair bit of coin but not too many on your list with 280hp
        Blair makes a good point for sure. Also, it will probably come in the cheapest out of the list.

Def consider a V70 though, I really am loving my Volvo, the AWD is awesome and the DSTC (Dynamic stability and traction control) is great with it's built in "anti spin (as in rotation) technology". I'm not a huge fan of the XC70 as it's basically a V70 with plastic fascia, taller suspension and bigger tires. I should say they are decent to drive though (had one as a loaner when the V50 was in for service). Only thing about the 70 series is it's due for a makeover (some exterior changes happened this year). The interior is still nice but starting to look a little dated, especially sitting next to the S40/V50 or the newly remodeled S80.

Also, you might want to think about a lease back too, V70R's don't have very good resale (not as bad as a Passat W8 4-motion though) and have 300hp as well as a pretty slick AWD system.

Hope that helps.
        Jay

Comment

V50

Comment

Definitely the B6 A4 Avant!!!
            Last edited by liquid; 11-27-2006, 12:42 PM.
            Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna
              Blair makes a good point for sure. Also, it will probably come in the cheapest out of the list.
              Actually, with the options I was looking at, it's nearly 5k more than the A4... go figure. I don't really think I need more than 2-250hp. The extra hp might be nice when towing something, but I doubt the family really needs to cruise at 150+ on road trips. I found my GTI has plenty with 200, so with the added weight of the wagon, 200-250 still seems like a lot. I'd rather save a little on gas and give up the 30+hp.

Saab doesn't make an AWD version of their wagon any more?
              Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by liquid
                Definitely the B6 A4 Avant!!!
                Why the B6...or did you mean b7? I would definately get the A4 avant out of the list you have....my dream is one in white with s-line and ti packages, mmmmm
                Kyle
                2000 Audi S4

Comment

A V70R has torque limitations in the first two gears, out of the box some sort of chip would be necessary. The DTSC is pretty decent at holding you steady but you can't turn it off, you can only turn it down. Also the power split is something like 90/10 front/rear so its still fwd really. They are fun but from driving them around its not worth the 60K+ for it in my opinion.
                  06 Subaru STi
                  Volvo tech

Comment

Legacy. I almost bought the sedan because it was way nicer inside than the wrx but to me it still seemed to grown up.
                    Last edited by greenGS; 12-09-2006, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by edicius
                      A V70R .
                      Aren't the R variations in the neighborhood of 70k?
                      REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
                      -james

Comment

The 5 door A3 is almost a wagon, really. No offense to A3 owners who don't like wagons. But really, with the hatch and 4 doors, I would just get that. Its pretty spacious.
                        KR
                        Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by James
                          Aren't the R variations in the neighborhood of 70k?
                          MSRP after tax, probably, but on the used market they can be had for much cheaper.

I looked at a fully optioned S60R last night in the showroom and it was 64,4xx I think. A V70R would be really nice but I think i'd consider an s4 avant instead at that price range (if we're talking buying an off the lot car).

Oh, and yes, it's a Haldex AWD I believe so it's front biased during normal driving (as is my V50) but obviously that changes with the environment. If i'm not mistaken it has 5 different settings for shifting the power, if you put it on the highest setting you can actually get it a bit tail happy on a track.

It's been a looooooong time since i've looked into the R's so i'm not sure how much of my knowledge still applies but hopefully that helps.
                          Last edited by Tuna; 12-12-2006, 12:12 PM.
                          Jay

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                            The 5 door A3 is almost a wagon, really. No offense to A3 owners who don't like wagons. But really, with the hatch and 4 doors, I would just get that. Its pretty spacious.
                            Nah, I was looking at the A3's too. The hatch isn't much bigger than my GTI and with the kid and the dog I need more room. I think I've narrowed it down to the A4, a used A6, or a Subaru. I guess I'll still take the Volvo for a test drive, but really want full time AWD and don't think the 'real time' offerings from Honda, Volvo, BMW, are going to cut it.
                            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X