New TV - Plasma/LCD, etc...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New TV - Plasma/LCD, etc...

Since the price of Plasma's and LCD's have come down a lot over the past few months, I'm looking at picking up a new TV in the coming weeks. Anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer an LCD, but then again I don't really fully understand the difference. I've looked at the Sony Bravia, which has an unbelievable picture, but the price is still pretty high.

I'm looking at something around 40", and about $1500.

Any suggestions? I found a 42" LG Plasma that I like, but I don't know much about the quality from LG.
    Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Re: New TV - Plasma/LCD, etc...

I have a 37" Toshiba LCD TV and am pretty happy with it. Pretty good picture quality and it has a built in DVD Player. Plasma's IMO simulate a crisper picture becuase of the reflective front (think old projection tv's). It's a good picture but u also see yourself in the TV and it may become annoying depending on how the TV is placed. This compared to the matte finish the LCD has works better in my opinion.

Off topic, next year Laser TV's are coming out, hence the prices for Plasma's and LCD's are falling.
    Got 5?

Comment

I have a 42" Pioneer plasma that I just got recently and I love it looks so nice on and off, and with HDTV or Xbox 360 it is awesome!

Blair
      Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

I have first hand experience with both LCD's and Plasma's, so I'll try and give you my opinion....

If you are looking for a TV in a well-lit room, LCD is definately your best bet. There will be little to no glare on the screen...even in direct light.

If your requirements are for an entertainment-type room (ie. little to no light), I still think that Plasma's are the best. They deliver a very crisp, clean picture.

I have a 42" LG Plasma in our entertainment room right now, and a 37" Toshiba LCD in the family room....I think each works well in the different environments....just wait till' the Laser's come out though
        Last edited by Smarty39; 10-27-2006, 01:27 PM.
        Kyle
        2000 Audi S4

Comment

Originally posted by Smarty39
          ....I think each works well in the different environments....just wait till' the Laser's come out though
          I've heard about the laser TV's, but I've heard they may still take a while as well.
          Sidewalks are for normal walkin.... aint no room for fancy walkin....

Comment

Laser TV whenever it comes out should be pretty reasonably priced as well.
            Got 5?

Comment

i would wait a month or so ... there is supposed to be a huge price war between the major companies for LCDs and Plasma before christmas. Panasonic is the best in my opinion but if you go with any of the major names you probably wont be too disappointed. don't go lower than 720p.

Comment

yea wait colin as boramk4 said.. there are these new laser tvs coming out this xmas that will be even better than plasma that will be around the same price or just slightly higher but that will drive plasma prices down for sure!
                Last edited by R_Ethug; 10-27-2006, 07:18 PM.

Comment

What happens when you get sick of looking right though?
                  Dylan
                  (Made from bits of real panther.)

Comment

I hear Samsung is the best for plasma and LCD technology. Apparently, they have won best manufacturer for the last 4 years in a row.

Im picking up a Samsung 40" widescreen LCD for $1900 this week. I've done my research and it is by far the best tv in that price range.
                    Tint sucks

Comment

I went with my sister last night to Visions as she was looking at Plasma / LCD.

She wound up with the 42" LG Plasma EDTV for around $1500 which is below cost as they are blowing them out.

Set-up was easy and the picture is pretty good on the normal cable signal. If I were in the market, LG would be on my short list for sure.

With the good prices, be sure you know if you are looking at EDTV vs. HDTV. If you have the HD box, or are playing XBox 360, then definately get the HDTV for a bit more.
                      Jeff

2017 Sportwagen
                      2016 .:R (sold)
                      2013 Golf TDI Wolfsburg (sold)
                      2001.5 Audi S4 (sold)

Comment

whoa 1500!

Comment

LG 42" HDTV Plasma is $1999.99, was just at Future Shop today. The sales associate mentioned the Plasma's will drop a bit more in price in the coming month or two.
                          Got 5?

Comment

yeah those are going to drop about 300 bucks i think. (obviously just a guess)
                            i think i'm gonna wait until boxing day or something like that and pick up a new plasma.

Comment

I wouldn't wait for laser TV's, I have heard that it is the new Betamax. Basically, not many companies want to make them and don't plan on making them. LCD technology is more general purpose and there are companies who have invested huge in it.

I think that LCD technology is better than Plasma. I guess it is a personal choice, but coming from the computer world and using a PC or xbox to drive my display, I would prefer a 1900x1200 resultion display to a 1366x768 resolution, which is generally the difference between a good LCD and a good plasma. I also think that a higher-contrast LCD just looks better. Finally, a lot of the Plasma TV's you see cheap in Calgary are simply older models - for some reason there are a lot of older Plasmas in town lately? Perhaps they haven't cleared out last year's inventory yet.... this is probably why they are dropping even more soon.

I was shopping for a new TV and for a 42" TV I think the best deal is the 1080p Toshiba that they have at best buy for $2200. They had a Sharp 1080p TV for $2500ish that was a bit better looking but they were very close. This was about a week and a half ago, on sale. The same 42" Toshiba LCD at A&B was on for $2999.

I realize that your budget for a 40" was 1500 but I think that this is too little to spend to get a quality TV at this size in Canada. Check out tigetdirect though, they have some good deals on LCD's from overseas... I think you could find a 42" 1080p LCD at tigerdirect for your budget. I just have never seen any of those in-person.

Last edited by Kor; 10-30-2006, 08:56 AM.
                              KR
                              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                              X