Building web applications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building web applications

I have an opportunity to do some contract work to build a website but the site in question requires building a web application that makes sales forecast calculations. The app would most likely be moderately difficult (but not extremely so) and I would like to know what the best way to build it would be.

Any developers out there that can chime in? Should it be java-based, .ASP, VB?

Let's nerd it up!

Thanks, all!

- Chris
    2008 Audi RS4
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Re: Building web applications

If you're new to web apps, my advice is either PHP or Java, depending how complex it is.
    If the math is pretty simple and all of the work is in the front end, use PHP.
    If the back end is really complicated Java might be better suited.

I don't do a lot of VB web work, so I don't know what to tell you about that.

Comment

Id agree that Java is probably the way to go...but if it gets to be a complicated app be warned that big java apps run like sh*t.
      REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
      -james

Comment

I think the language to use depends on the languages you know, the problem to be solved and the environment you're going to host the application on (*nix/Apache, W2k3 server/IIS, etc.)

They all have their pluses and minuses. More important than language is architecture, but that depends heavily on experience.

If you've never written a web application before, it's probably not the best idea to start on a really complicated one... even if the money is tempting. But that's just my opinion.

And as for Java performing slowly for "big apps", that's completely incorrect. Version 1.0 of Java... maybe... but not current versions. Also, the slow part of Java is AWT/Swing (the UI components)... and as you're developing a web application this isn't even an issue.
        Last edited by Billip; 04-10-2006, 11:27 AM.
        billip
        2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

Thanks for the input, fellas!
          2008 Audi RS4
          2015 Fiat 500 Abarth

Comment

Originally posted by Billip
            Also, the slow part of Java is AWT/Swing (the UI components)... and as you're developing a web application this isn't even an issue.
            Ya, im not a programmer by any stretch but I work with a number of java apps... this is probably why I was under the impression they run like sh*t
            REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
            -james

Comment

yes java is sh!t, you are right about that.
              Last edited by bart; 04-10-2006, 03:22 PM.
              2002 VW Golf GT TDI
              2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Originally posted by bart
                yes java is sh!t, you are right about that.
                Yeah, that's right. PHP is the only language that should've ever been invented... it's best for everything. LOL
                Last edited by Billip; 04-10-2006, 03:26 PM.
                billip
                2013 Audi RS 5

Comment

my ecu runs on php

ok ok, there is this new things everyone is crazy about RoR... so mcphail you can learn that if you want, supposed to make development uber uber fast...
                  2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                  2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

so chris have you heard back from your client? will you be needing my php mad skillz? let me know.
                    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
                    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Comment

Working...
                    X