Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings and Salutations

Hi everyone,

My name is Tim. I have a mk4 2.slo golf. I've lived in Vancouver for a year now. Previously I lived in Ottawa.

I will be moving to Calgary in early January to start a new job. So far I don't have that much info on Calgary.

I will be working downtown. I'd like to live in an area that does not make it too difficult to get to work, but I want to live in a quiet area (I'm sick of listening to constant traffic noise and busses wizzing by my apartment here). Can anyone recommend a decent neighbourhood to check out? Or more importantly, point out the places that I DON'T want to live?

I can't wait to move and hook up with you guys for events.

here are some pics of my car:

and what I expect it to look like within days of arriving:

Cheers

Tim
    Tim
    "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Re: Greetings and Salutations

Welcome to the boards Tim!!! I think in order to answer your question monetary factors may enter into the equation (Rent, buy, amount, etc.) in order to help us give you some suggestions but we do have people who live in every corner of the city here.

Car is looking great and hopefully we will see you and it out at some meets once you arrive!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Welcome Tim! Thanks for posting the shots of the Golf.

Many of us work downtown and can make some suggestions. However, as Blair observed, budget is of course going to effect you.

Calgary housing is a little out of control too. Demand is higher than supply. Moreover, our road infrastructure sucks, so it is very easy to get stuck in traffic coming downtown. Some things to look forward to.
      KR
      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Coming from Vancouver, I'm used to insanely high rent. right now i'm paying about a grand a month for a 650-700 sq ft 1 bedroom apartment.

I would like to get a spacious 2 bedroom apartment. Budget-wise, I don't think I'll have any problems if i'm spending under 2k/month for rent.

are there any good online apartment rental sites for Calgary?

About traffic: your traffic can't be as bad as Vancouver. ugh. Anyway, I don't mind taking the bus as long as I don't get stuck waiting for a transfer when it's -92598246086 C outside (ahhhh fond memories of being a student in Ottawa)

Tim
        Tim
        "When you see the tree you’re about to hit, it’s called under steer. When you can only feel and hear it, it’s over steer."

Comment

Tim!
          I'm sorry, but this board already has reached it's quota of Ottawa-native users. Keep an eye open for Ed (sidejam) while you're in Calgary, eh?

Where are you going to be working?
          Last edited by Flanders; 11-01-2005, 06:33 PM.
          1.8T
          Not quite stock anymore...

Comment

Welcome to the boards / club my fellow Ontarian! I lived in Toronto, Etobicoke, Mississauga and Milton. I really miss going up north to Georgian Bay and hanging at the cottage. They say the mountains make up for it but I say nay. The mountains are nice but nothing beats hanging out on a nice summers day on the dock by a "real" lake swilling a cold one in the middle of the Canadian sheild.

Can I get a witness!
            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
            You dig sucka?!

Comment

If you're looking for rental stuff, check out http://www.bwalk.com/Rental/Calgary/default.asp?lng=EN.
              The company is a bunch of pricks, but their buildings are usually pretty nice, and I've lived in 3 of them without any problems. I'd recommend either O'neill Tower if you want to be right downtown, or Spruce Ridge Estates (SW) if you want something a little quieter.

Comment

spruce ridge is super nice just don't live in a basement unit. we were flooded for months this spring, but rent should be about 950 a month (that includes gas and water ) and the 2 bedroom place are arounf 960sq feet

Comment

Originally posted by Volkstech
                  They say the mountains make up for it but I say nay. The mountains are nice but nothing beats hanging out on a nice summers day on the dock by a "real" lake swilling a cold one in the middle of the Canadian sheild.
                  Can I get a witness!
                  Amen! The mountains are nowhere near. There is nothing like it!
                  KR
                  Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Flanders
                    Tim!
                    I'm sorry, but this board already has reached it's quota of Ottawa-native users. Keep an eye open for Ed (sidejam) while you're in Calgary, eh?

Where are you going to be working?
                    Hey Nevin, fancy meeting you here

I'm going to be working at a tech company downtown. Should be a good way to satisfy my car habbit

BTW, what's insurance like in Alberta regarding mods and such?

So i've done a bit of reading and the consensus seems to be stay the hell out of the NE and the NW and SW are cool. I also read that some company wants to put in some sour gas mines in the SW area? true? Which parts of the city are more prone to flooding?

Last edited by zilla; 11-02-2005, 12:19 PM.
                    Tim

Comment

What kind of tech work do you do?
                      KR
                      Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

my background is in organic, molecular, nano, and flexible electronics.

I'll be working at a company doing R&D on flexible pressure sensors.
                        Tim

Comment

Welcome to the forum zilla.

OK, some questions to answer:

Place to live: For 2k a month, you can get a pretty damn nice condo/appt. There's one I was looking at just off McLeod Trail and 25th Ave (25th ave and 1st st SW I believe. 1100sq ft, 2bdrm, 2 bath, all utilities, in room laundry, new renovated extremely NICE, underground secure parking, and it's about 1400 a month.

I forget the name of the development tho

It's right next to the Elbow River in a quiet part of town, with all amenities close by. Takes next to no time to get to the office towers (10 min maybe) and the LRT is nearby too if you so choose.

Insurance:

Insurance in Alberta is Government regulated privitization, so you have lots of choice on who to go with, and NONE of the stupid ICBC red tape.

Insurers are pretty good about car modifications unless you've got a full on show car, then you would want to look @ Appraised Value Insuring (like anywhere else).

Lowering, wheels, minor engine mods and some engine swaps are not generally hassled.

Other than that, you'll love it here, it's a great city with a totally different pace to that of Vancouver. It's more conservative, and lots of money to be made, and you dont have the mass amounts of ganja loving hippies giving you a hard time downtown.

Cheers, and welcome once again fellow techie..
                          Last edited by AWD-FLY-GUY; 11-02-2005, 02:44 PM.
                          Candy White 2007 GTI APR'd

Comment

Originally posted by Kor
                            Amen! The mountains are nowhere near. There is nothing like it!
                            I really miss it. Are you from Ontario too Kris?
                            Like Type 2's? Visit my blog!

My posts and comments written here on this forum are on my spare time and are my personal opinion(s) and are not the opinion(s) or policy of my employer nor are they proven to be accurate. Use advice at your own risk.
                            You dig sucka?!

Comment

Originally posted by Volkstech
                              I really miss it. Are you from Ontario too Kris?
                              I am from the 'peg, but we used to have a summer cabin in SW Ontario.
                              KR
                              Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Working...
                              X