Mods vs second car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mods vs second car.

I'm very very tempted to pickup a B5 A4 1.8t or 2.8v6 in the spring and turn it into a project car. but also drive it in the winter.

The prices are pretty good nowadays 10-15gs for a used one which is fine with me.

Although if I really want one I'm not going to get a uber turbo kit or new wheels for the jetta and save up the beans for the audi..

just curious to what people think..

Re: Mods vs second car.

I'd get a second car before driving around in a beater you don't really like.

Khyron
    Geoff
    Fear is the element that unites all losers.

Comment

oh the baron works fine but yea with the audi i can get awd and probably in the end make it a summer only car LOL but we'll see..

Comment

I really dont see the value in a 'winter' car. Winter doesn't tend to stick around here long enough to matter. Unless you have a super low car, something that is worth mega bucks or is exceedingly rare I don't know what the advantage is.

You spend money on a POS that you hate to drive, looks like ass, and in the event of an accident won't give you the same measure of protection that a VW does, or you spend a lot of money on a non-POS which may possess the same qualities when you could bank that cash for mods, investment, early car pay off, or to repair whatever trivial damage comes along as a result of winter (paint chips, cracked glass, etc).

AWD has minimal ability over ESP for winter driving. The primary advantage comes in getting going from a stop, and maintaining traction on minor inclines and it basically ends there. If you are sliding on ice in any direction AWD won't help you one bit.

Comment

I would daily drive the jetta, and pick up a mk1 or mk2 as a project car. Actually, thats exactly what I just did.
          2012 gti, 2012 mustang.

Comment

I didn't used to want a winter car... however, I realized that for the money I have spent "winterizing" my car, tires, mats, (etc) for the past two years, I could have bought a decent winter car.

The nice thing about a winter car is that it can also be a second car. If you get the mod bug bad enough, your car starts to be less and less fun in the winter. I am not sure what a 300+ whp fwd jetta is going to be like on ice.
            KR
            Porsche 991 Carrera S

Comment

Originally posted by Klobi-One-Kinobi
              I would daily drive the jetta, and pick up a mk1 or mk2 as a project car. Actually, thats exactly what I just did.
              Yea, that's what I would like to do too.

I tried to do the winter beater thing with my scirocco and my Corrado. Now, the scirocco was way worse than your "the baron" but I kinda snapped 1/2 way through the winter going why am I paying money to let something sit while I drive this piece of crap around that annoys me every minute i'm in it. However I guess it's different if you have an "ok" car for the winter. I think I just like the idea of having a nice car to drive all the time and the cheaper more quirky and less safe vehicle is something I use occasionally.

I like b5 A4's they are nice, and cheap used, but I also imagine they will have some of the bugs that the early Passats had. Also, I wouldn't get a 150hp 1.8T with AWD, I would think that would be dreadfully slow. I think i'd even be confident racing you in the rabbit .

I'm sure some of the audi guys can help you out too.
              Jay

Comment

if i get the audi my plans for it are pretty basic..

chip it, bilsteins and H&R sports, xenon upgrade/ecodes, thats about it.. keep it pretty simple looking.. if i get the mod bug bad i'll do it up worse than my jetta and sell the dub.. but we'll see .. hopefully i have enough beans come spring for one.

Comment

Originally posted by NeonGTI
                  AWD has minimal ability over ESP for winter driving. The primary advantage comes in getting going from a stop, and maintaining traction on minor inclines and it basically ends there. If you are sliding on ice in any direction AWD won't help you one bit.
                  Minimal? how about the constant traction difference? I have had a chance to drive my car (98 A4, no ESP) and two BMWs (330 dsc and 540 some other Trac.) and the A4 feels 100x more stable during winter driving. The 330 cuts power to the wheels and the 540 actually applies pressure to the brakes. I think the only people that would say this havent driven both back to back..I prefer mine over a Jeep GC as well...(Could be size wise as well)

Go for it Ryan!! (But do the 1.8T, there is a lacking of mods for the 2.8, but you do get leather! as opposed to leatherette or cloth)

Comment

i want a 1.8t bad mark.. the 2.8 has the SC which is cool but pricey..
                    i'm having a helluva time finding one now with a 5spd.. hopefully more are avail come spring.

Comment

Yeah, the good ones are tough to come by, but it should be worth youre wait. (Although I would reccoemend getting it before winter!)
                      The SC is nice, and provides constant power, but besides a chip and exhaust you are quite limited.

Comment

well i'll rock my baron 1 more winter i have it again now just not driving it.. it'll get the job done.. plus not enough money to buy a 3rd car right now hahaha

oh yea not to picky on color.. will probably end up with reflex silver again but would love to get sunshine yellow or satorin blue.. even black.. damn i should buy it with my CC LOL
                        Last edited by R_Ethug; 10-31-2005, 09:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X