Jetta 'bling'...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jetta 'bling'...

Got some OEM "bling" (at least it is, in my eyes...) for my Jetta on Sat., on the way home from working 4 hrs. O/T. It's a stainless license plate bracket, which I got from the Northland VW parts dept!! I had seen them during an earlier visit to the parts dept.

When I originally bought the Jetta, it came with a black plastic bracket, with (white letters) "Northland VW" on it, but I didn't want to give Northland free advertising, so I've always had my license plate on TOP of the Northland bracket. This stainless bracket has "Volkswagen" along the bottom of the bracket--I could have gotten one that said "Jetta", but as it already says Jetta on the back of the car, I figured that was overkill..

It also came with 4 plastic "cups" that each mounting screw goes through, and then you snap on a chrome-finish cap, which completely hides the screw heads, and gives it a real finished look. It was $44.. You could also get a plain one without any lettering along the bottom, in a black finish, but I liked the stainless look better.. The license plate area really looks sharp now!!!

Re: Jetta 'bling'...

Congrats on the purchase nice to see you still buying presents for your car after so many years!!

Those are nice plate frames too!!
    Blair
    Former Cars: '12 Fiat 500, '10 VW GTI, '05 Smart Fortwo, '96 VW Jetta GLX, '02 VW GTI 337.........

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Turbo
      Congrats on the purchase nice to see you still buying presents for your car after so many years!!

Those are nice plate frames too!!
      Man, I should get a nice one for the rabbit, I think it still has a "Varsity Chrysler" one or something like that

Congrats on the purchase!
      Jay

Comment

Jason:

"Varsity Chrysler"??? Resist the dark side!!!! lol

Comment

Dude at work got one of those liberty CRDs...Id straight up ditch my car of the hassle free diesel small-SUV lifestyle haha
          REAL men use harsh language as self-defense
          -james

Comment

Watch out the next time you take your car to NL for service. They might try taking off the frame, break it, hide it in the spare tire well, and put a NLVW frame back on.

It happened to me...

Jeff
            Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
            hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
            sigpic

Comment

hahahaha thats kinda funny.. good thing i have no frame then..

Comment

I too thought Jeff was being funny, then I saw that he wasn't!!!!

Don't worry, I'll be watching!! Don't think they could break it--bend it, maybe.. Not sure if I ever will make it back to NL, though... If I do go back, it will be for maintenance that I already know about!!

Comment

Werd to Jeff. Way back in the day when I worked there Perry (owner) would have us go out to the service lots and put a Nothland frame on every car out there. Even on cars that had frames from other places.
                  Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-25-2005, 12:17 PM.

Present
                  2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                  2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                  2003 VW Jetta GLI
                  1992 VW Jetta GL
                  1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomguy
                    It also came with 4 plastic "cups"
                    Damned if I couldnt find screws to fit in those cups.. the OEM ones were too big, and nobody seemed to have stainless/grade 8 screws in metric with the right size head to fit. Had to grind down the head on the OE ones (they had a built-in washer of sorts that had to be filed off), and touch them up with rust paint in the end.... Hope the screws you have work, cause it was a large hastle. looks good though. I just got the plain stainless one with no text.
                    Stefan
                    -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                    -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                    -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                    -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

Stefan:

Man, I feel guilty saying what I have, after reading what you did!!!! I have 2 Philips head screws, and 2 Robertson head screws--I would have to guess I never got screws for the license plate, and supplied my own mis-matched screws ....

Comment

^^ MKIV uses a specific size of bolt. Your MK2 probably uses a screw of some type.
                        Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-25-2005, 04:53 PM.

Present
                        2010 Audi A4 S-Line
                        2007 VW GTI 2.0T

Past
                        2003 VW Jetta GLI
                        1992 VW Jetta GL
                        1984 VW Rabbit GTI

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Burns
                          Werd to Jeff. Way back in the day when I worked there Perry (owner) would have us go out to the service lots and put a Nothland frame on every car out there. Even on cars that had frames from other places.
                          AH HA! So you broke my license plate frame????

I like the part where they hid it in the spare tire wheel well. It took me 3 days to notice they had switched it, and another 15 minutes of searching my car before I found the original.
                          Jeff

his - '03 GTI VR6
                          hers - '06 A4 S-line Avant
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Slalomguy
                            Stefan:

Man, I feel guilty saying what I have, after reading what you did!!!! I have 2 Philips head screws, and 2 Robertson head screws--I would have to guess I never got screws for the license plate, and supplied my own mis-matched screws ....
                            i didnt want to put in any that would rust.. and the ones with the mk4 didnt fit. said in the instruction thing "dealer has right screws".. he didnt. Stainless metric fasteners are next to impossible to find, i found out. You would think with everything going metric, that part stores would start stocking metric bolts/screws.. they have everything under the sun in imperial. Its just cause they are a metric thread, as opposed to a screw and plastic grommet. at any rate, the frame does look good, i think.
                            Stefan
                            -> '19 Deep Black Pearl Alltrack
                            -> '05 Urban Grey Passat Wagon TDI.
                            -> Past rides: '14 Allroad, 06 Mazda5, '98 Jetta K2, '01 Jetta TDI, '91 Mazda B2200, '81 Toyota Cressida
                            -> FutuRe Ride...??!

Comment

i bought my sister the vw chrome new beetle plate frame for her new beetle. nice piece, too expensive though.
                              Simon

Comment

Working...
                              X